View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What can you make/commission?
A: Costumes, wings, wigs, armor, props and accessories - just about anything as long as it doesn't require a wood or metal shop (therefore I can't work with wood or metal unless it's precut) . If there is something I can't do, I will suggest other commissioners.

Q: How do you calculate your quotes/prices?
A: 90% of the time, I give you an itemized list with links for price references, that covers every yard (therefore I need your measurements first and foremost), button, spool of thread and what not that will be going into a project. Labor charges are also listed. Sometimes, depending on cosplay trends, a project has already been broken down for a previous quote, so I can just copy and paste it over, otherwise I'll make any adjustments if necessary. And sometimes, if a project is similar to something else, such as Disney Princess gowns then I can give a rough estimate based on a previous breakdown.

Q: How much do you charge for costume commissions?
A: $15/hour normal fabric, $20 if pvc/pleather/vinyl and spandex is used - PLUS material and shipping costs.

Q: How much do you charge for wig commissions?
A: Simple styles (cuts, curls, waves): $25
Spiky styles: $50
Gravity defying styles, Up dos, ponytails, etc: starting at $75
Custom dying: varies on length and how many colors used, etc
PLUS material costs and shipping.

Q: What if I am on a budget?
A: I try my very, very best when working with budgets. The lowest costing, plain colored, cotton fabric that I use is $3.99/yard. I even try to make cuts in my own labor costs to help you. I ask that you try to research some of the material costs on your own and doing research on certain methods, if not trying your own hand at something to get a better understanding on the process and material costs. If your budget isn't a reasonable one, I'd be more than happy to explain why while still be understand of whatever your circumstances there may be. However, I can't accept every commission and everyone's budget.

Q: How long will it take?
A: My schedule is based on deadlines and event dates. It does not entirely go by order of payment. I am typically booked 3-6 months in advanced. You are considered booked when the first payment has been received.

Q: Once an item has been shipped out, how long will it take?
A. In the U.S. I use Priority Mail with delivery confirmation AND INSURANCE and it takes 2-3 days. International shipping varies, due to customs check. USPS only offers tracking for Priority (6-10 days [excluding customs], about $48 (for their large flat rate box) to the UK and Express International (3-5 days [excluding customs], about $75 to the UK to major locations. Should you opt for the First Class shipping method (which is the least costly and slowest), I will not be responsible for anything getting lost or undelivered.

Q: How much is shipping?
A: US Priority mail flat rates start at $5.35 (smallest box, usually used for jewelry or small accessories) and go up to $15.45 (largest offered box can fit a neatly folded commission provided that it doesn't have a ton of armor or isn't a giant princess gown). If a larger box is needed then weight goes into factor. International shipping varies.

Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
A: I accept paypal. If you have a problem with your paypal account or setting up one, we can discuss other options.

Q: Can you give me the sale price of the fabric under material costs?
A: No, sorry. The reason is sales are ALWAYS changing. Not to mention, I don't know if or when someone is committed to to their commission until a payment has been received, which very well could be received after a sale.

Q: Can you use x fabric instead?
A: I am more than happy to discuss other fabric options with you. If you don't want something shiny, then we'll look for a matte fabric. If you wanted a stretchy fabric, then we'll look up fabric options for that.

Last edited by Mykaios : 03-05-2013 at 01:40 PM.