View Single Post
Unread 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #64
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFontBandit View Post
And why can't it be steampunk? Steampunk is not solely limited to historically-accurate Victorian costuming. It's an alternate-history genre, which means we all get to write our own story on steampunk fashion.

Remember the whole "bustiers as outerwear" fad of the 80s? Who's to say that the fashion of corsets as outerwear couldn't have evolved in an alternate Victorian timeline where airship pirates sail the skies and time-travel is possible?

The main thing that drew me to steampunk in the first place was the irresistible blend of historic fashion pieces along with the open-ended capability to mix-and-match anachrostic or offbeat styles. The rise of the "steampunk fashion police" has really put me off the genre lately. Steampunk is fiction. There is no one steampunk rulebook.
I couldn't agree with you more!

While I don't like the idea of just throwing on a corset and goggles and calling it steampunk, there are ways to use the stereotypical items and make it unique.

I'm drawn to the creative side of steampunk, so I don't like when people start saying something is or isn't steampunk. It's a genre that is what you make of it.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote