View Single Post
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Latest Crop of Higher-End Nikon Cameras

Anyone want to share their opinions/thoughts on these Nikon model offerings (sorry Canon users but your line seems pretty well defined)? Just a curiosity question so no need to go into a full-blown technical review.

Specifically, the:
D600
D800/D800E
D4

I use the D700 and donít need to upgrade since my camera isnít holding me back but I do like some of the new cameraís features. The problem I have about these models is this: Each has something I like but none has enough of the things I like to consider switching

D700 (Reference)
I like the clean iso 200-6400, 8fps with AA batteries in grip, 51 point AF, 8000 shutter speed, converts from D3 style with grip to smaller form-factor without grip, good tonal range, and button layouts are easy to use with one hand.
I donít like the lack of easily switching between settings, no video, and heavy for its size. I could say the 12 mp sensor but honestly I donít recall a need for more with the prints Iíve made but could use a little more headroom for crops.

D600
I like the U1/U2 feature and the reasonable 24mp sensor. I like the lighter weight and video capabilities.
I donít like the 5.5 max fps, 39 point AF, 4000 max shutter speed, and very little iso improvement over D700.

D800
I like the 36 mp sensor, improved 51 point AF, 8000 shutter, video, and greater tonal range.
I donít like the 4 max fps, if you shoot RAW itís 36 mp only with FX glass (Canon has smaller RAW1 and RAW2), iso performance is nominally improved (same 6400 upper limit as D700).

D4
I like everything (iso could be a little better)
I donít like the fact I cannot afford it
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote