View Single Post
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalArtisan View Post
I'll be the first to express a Lowlight:
The Marriott.
. On top of that, when one of my friends checked into the Marriott on Thursday, she found that the room had a fifty dollar deposit and a fifteen percent "tax" on top of the price listed. This really got my suspicion up, as sale's tax in MI is only six percent, which is what I was charged at my own hotel. The combined fees all but completely wiped out her cash for the weekend.
http://detroit.about.com/od/artsente...oit_tips_2.htm

Hotel tax and sales tax are different. Hotel taxes are a consumer tax on lodging charges for periods of less than 30 consecutive days for hotels, motels, rooming houses, private campgrounds, RV parks, and similar facilities.

I know I paid 12% tax when I went on vacation this year so taxation in hotels over 10% isn't that uncommon. Hotels also like to tack on "resort fees" as well so that's something to watch out for when you book/check out.

Always ask what the total cost of a room is including all taxes and additional fees when you are booking because sometimes they won't let you know up front!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote