View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It kind of depends on the con; a lot of masquerade entries means they can't take a ton of time with each entry/person unless they want the masquerade to start late. My last con, we had to arrive an hour before the "must be in green room by now or you're too late" time, and I think about fifteen or sixteen entries, including myself, had workmanship judging. There were two judges per person, and it took a couple minutes per person; they weren't what I'd call too rushed, but for me they basically looked at the insides of seams they could see without making me take off my costume, looked me around a couple times- I assume to see how well it fitted on me- and felt the. fabrics, asked me if I drafted/used a pattern, what it was made from, how I styled the wig and made the props, anything extra I wanted to mention. I wouldn't call it a rushed judging, but they were able to get through everyone pretty quick.

Judging winners? Yeah, that sounds WAY too fast. At every masquerade I've watched or been in, it was at least a few hours before they announced winners.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote