Join Date: Oct 2009
1) Doctor Who characters – Many of the Doctor’s companions are normal people who wear clothes you could easily find in a department store, thrift store, or even your own closet. And there are years of characters to choose from, male or female, young and old, all different races and hair colors and so on. Characters: Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, Mickey Smith, Sarah Jane Smith, Rory Williams, Amy Pond, or The Doctor himself.
2) Harry Potter characters – I second the suggestion above. If you don’t feel like buying a robe/scarf/other Hogwarts apparel, you could do a civilian clothes version of a character…just make sure you have key details to make yourself recognizable. For example, Harry’s scar, Luna’s earrings, red hair if you’re going as any Weasley, etc. Characters: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Fred or George Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, etc.
3) Firefly – certain characters are easier than others, but most wear fairly “normal” clothes. Characters: Mal Reynolds, Zoe Washburne, Hoban “Wash” Washburne, Kaylee Frye, Jayne Cobb, Simon Tam, River Tam, Shepherd Book, Inara Serra
4) Supernatural – particularly for male cosplayers, Sam, Dean, and Castiel would be fairly easy. You’d just have to make it clear who you are since they dress so normally people might not even think you’re in costume.
5) Baccano – Several characters wear pretty standard clothes , and many have fun hats! Characters: Isaac and Miria (would also be a good couples cosplay), Luck Gandor, Eve Genoard, Jacuzzi Splot, Chane, Laforet, Sylvie Lumiere, Czeslaw Meyer, Claire Stanfield, Maiza Avaro, Firo Prochainezo, Ennis, Ladd Russo
6) Fruits Basket – pretty much any character. They either wear school uniforms, yukatas, or regular clothes depending on the character.
7) The Hunger Games – To make a “tribute” outfit from the movie, you could alter a tshirt for the top and just wear black pants and boots. You could go as baker!Peeta with an apron and a loaf of burnt bread as a prop, or hunter!Katniss with a braid, bow and arrow, leather jacket and mockingjay pin. Or you could be reaping day Prim with two blonde braids, a pale blue dress and a stuffed goat.
Rose Tyler - Doctor Who
River Song - Doctor Who
Kaylee Frye - Firefly
Fem!Sam - Supernatural
Sam Winchester - Supernatural
Fem!Sherlock - BBC Sherlock
Fem!Newt Geiszler - Pacific Rim