View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
CautiousAmber

Oh, I'm so glad someone made a thread like this! I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing and reading about other people's original cosplays!

1- Inspiration.
As a Studio Art/Illustration major whose always had a passion for writing and storytelling, I draw and write my own web comics/graphic novels. Works like Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings, and Avatar: The Last Airbender have been huge influences in both the kinds of stories I want to tell and the design of fictional worlds/characters. Developing stories and characters is my absolute favorite thing to do, and I invest just about every part of myself into their creation. The realization that I could use cosplay along side art and writing as another way to express these characters was a great moment for me.

2- backstory
Considering I cosplay characters from my fully developed stories, of course there is tons of existing backstory! At the moment I'm working on putting together a cosplay for one of my oldest OC's Akashi, and it's so exciting to be able to know exactly what sort of clothing he'd wear or what props I need to bring to complete the cosplay. It's also much easier to do 'In Character' things in photos and such, because I don't have to worry about being OOC. I know everything that makes this guy tick!

3- why?
Cosplaying OC's lets me give them another form besides artwork and writing. One that's tangible and easily engaged in by other people! It's a little intimidating because it's so much more personal than dressing up as someone else's character, but it's also a lot more gratifying.
- Homestuck: Feferi Peixes

Upcoming Events:
Nebraskon 2014, Katsucon 2015, Nakakon 2015, Colossalcon 2015

TUMBLR / FACEBOOK / COSPIX
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote