View Single Post
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
bunny_Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
Do you have the 5th edition? How is menswear covered in it? Is it only one chapter? (Is that chapter short or substantial?) Is men's fitting and measurements discussed throughout the book or just in that one chapter?

I have the 3rd edition of this textbook, which was current way back when I took patternmaking in community college. Unfortunately, it had absolutely no mention of men's patterning and tailoring. It was all women's patterns except for a supposedly "unisex" section on pants which wasn't really unisex at all. (I tried drafting from it and just...no.) So while the pattern manipulation concepts in it are really good, it's usefulness for me personally was very limited in terms of slopers and fitting. I rarely use it unless I'm making something very weird.

I heard from a friend about the updates to the 5th edition, so I'm contemplating getting it. I'm digging for reviews and more info before I dish out the money though, since it's sold at textbook prices.
I do have the 5th edition. I'm not entirely sure of all the changes but, there is a men's section. It's not huge but it does cover all the basics. It's about 46 pages long and covers men's jacket foundations and designing with the blocks, a section on jacket construction; bespoke style, shirt foundations, casual shirts, vests, basic pant foundations and manipulations for trousers, slacks and jeans with a mini section on welt pockets. It seems to have a few pages on fitting analysis and corrections. Hope that helps!

Last edited by bunny_Bri : 12-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.
bunny_Bri is offline   Reply With Quote