View Single Post
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #71
MaryWesker
MistressMaryD

I have the same general feelings as Ithlia. Otakon is a big con and there's only so much they can do.

That doesn't mean I don't have my own complaints of course; but the good outweighs the bad and until that stops being the case, I'll continue going.

My biggest complaints are staff/venue related. I don't claim to know how everything works, but I am starting to agree with people who think there should be an attendance cap if they plan on staying at the BCC; it just gets too crowded to handle sometimes. I had a few very miserable moments this year in concerns of overcrowding and the heat that went along with that inside the building. (I'm aware it's gonna be hot regardless since its the summer and there's a ton of overheated bodies in one place but I don't ever remember it being that bad inside the convention center. I won't ever complain about the weather as Otakon can't change that and people should know what they're getting into before going; look at the weather channel people. But it shouldn't be hotter inside than it is outside.)

And yes, I ran into a few rude staffers, as I have every year. They're probably super stressed, I'm sure; but that's no reason to be rude to attendees who paid to be there just like others did. If they wanna check my weapon or prop they could politely ask rather than snap at me. And nobody said you could put your hands on me or the people I'm with. That's uncalled for. Or, if a hallway is crowded and moving slowly; don't shout at me as soon as you focus on a single person, I'm stuck in the traffic and can't move around any better than the people around me.

These are small complaints in the grand scheme of things, and most definitely I ran into more friendly staffers than rude ones, but it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. Ultimately though, I'm still gonna go to this con; these little things aren't a big enough deal yet to merit me not going; it's a big even for me and I go to socialize. (I very rarely go to panels or signings; I mostly go for the large group of friends I meet there every year.)

Maybe these little things are worth looking into; I'd hazard to say just addressing those little problems would make attendees much happier.
Ruby (2.0) - Supernatural
Meg 2.0/nurse!Meg - Supernatural
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil Movie
DeviantArt
Tumblr
MaryWesker is offline   Reply With Quote