View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
If your school system offers it and you qualify, you can also look into dual enrollment at your local community college, take a sewing or fashion class there and have it count towards your credits for graduation.
Unfortunately, the barriers to entry are probably really high for someone who's only 14. I checked the policies for both of my local community colleges on allowing minors:
- The first pretty much bans minors unless it's specifically for "youth" classes (like Youth Orchestra). The child can get an exception and take adult classes if they have written permission from their parents, their school, AND the school district.
- The second only allows those who are sophomore, junior, or senior in high school. They require permission from the child's parents and their high school, and there's a definite bias in favor of purely academic courses.

This is why I didn't suggest it, even though I usually do when people ask this kind of question. =/ Sure, it's theoretically possible, but (1) it depends on how OP's parents feel about the sewing/costuming thing, and (2) it would be harder to convince a school and/or district board about the academic merits of taking a sewing class for personal hobby purposes. Of course, maybe OP's local community colleges are less strict than mine.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote