View Single Post
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

My personal setup for a con at which I don't plan to shoot stage is generally : my Canon 50D (crop body) + 35/2.0 + 50/1.4. No flash. It fits in a small bag, it's not a hassle to carry around all day, and yes I find it important to be mobile. Primes have the advantage of size, as well as the advantage of wider aperture, which is very important when working with available light only.
I mostly use the 35 lately because I mostly do full body shots, but if I have the space I'll use the 50 instead (better image quality and better autofocus).
I'll take my 24-105/4 zoom with me if I plan to shoot stage. I only shoot stage if I find the stage to be worth it, though : neutral background and good lights. I don't think that a poorly lit stage makes for interesting photos, anyway. I'll have to get another lens for stage when I go full frame though, 105 mm is certainly not long enough.
This year, I've been shooting a lot less stage than previous years, except I could do it at Japan Expo, and it was just awesome ! It's hard to beat the lights of the ECG - they had two rehearsals before the final, and it really shows. And now, I'm spoiled, and would like all cosplay on stage to be lit like that.

Last edited by Ashurachan : 12-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote