View Single Post
Unread 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I agree with a lot of the above post. No matter your schedule, it's pretty important to get a little movement in the morning, and to eat breakfast. If you don't eat within an hour of waking up, then your metabolism will be pretty wonky all day. Crunches and sit-ups aren't bad, though a jog around wherever you live would be ideal. You don't need money or equipment to get a good workout, contrary to popular belief. Also, make sure you're getting at least 7 hours of sleep per night. Weirdly enough, your amount of sleep does affect your ability to lose weight, among other things.

In terms of diet, I don't know what you're currently eating, but try and stay under 20 grams of fat per day, and aim for 5 grams or less if you want to lose weight (when you get to your goal, bump it up to 5-10 grams per day ideally, though still no more than 20). The best breakfast I can recommend is scrambled egg whites, a piece of whole wheat toast, and a couple slices of turkey bacon. This will keep you pretty full for a while. Avoid processed foods, and go for lots of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. You should NOT starve yourself of carbs (it's your body and especially your brain's nutrient of choice), though try and get your carbs from fruits and whole grain breads without OD-ing on bread. XD

You're probably going to feel really hungry at first-- which is normal. You're probably not used to eating so few calories (which, if you're getting an hour of moderate to vigorous exercise per day should be around 1300 for losing weight, but no lower than 1000, as that's when it starts to be unhealthy), but drink a LOT of water to help curb your appetite and because water is very important. If you're life me and you cannot stand the taste of water, get Propel Zero. It's basically no-calorie flavored water. Try to drink 4 or more bottles per day, and get sodas (even diet sodas) out of your diet completely (when you reach your goal weight you can have diet soda with meals, like lunch and dinner). I also recommend chewing minty gum if you're feeling hungry. Studies have shown that mint can curb your appetite to an extent. However, don't wait to the point of starving yourself. I'm giving you these tips to curb your appetite because when you're obese, your fat cells literally prevent your body from receiving signals of fullness (I can't remember the name of that chemical signal off the top of my head, sorry). So you may feel hungry sooner, but you shouldn't eat yet. If you need something to mindlessly snack on while working if you feel hungry, only eat vegetables, as they're extremely low in calories. Cucumbers are fantastic, because they're mostly water, and the peels are very good for you.

The average person loses 2 pounds per week when dieting safely, though because you're a little heavier I'd say aiming for 3 pounds per week (no more than 4) to start should be ideal. Because you're going by weight, let me give you a word of caution- DON'T weigh every day. Pick one day per week, and only weight on that one day, at the SAME time every day. This is because your weight fluctuates about 2 pounds per day, and it often depends on the time of day. The most accurate weigh to chart weight loss is weighing once a week, at the same time every week (preferably in the morning when you've just gotten up).

I hope this helps you to diet and lose weight in a healthy way. I've been to weight loss camps three times, and part of the program was to take nutrition and health classes. XD So, I know a lot about losing weight. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT:// One last tidbit, exercise is almost more important than eating healthy. To lose weight, you can't do one or the other and effectively lose weight. You have to do both, even if it's just an hour a day of exercise. :3

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote