View Single Post
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I can suggest three things, myself, which don't involve taking it up or adding hoops;
First one, bustling hooks. Pretty simple; get some robust hooks and eyes (for a larger skirt, I'd put four to six in), figure out how much off the ground you want the skirt to go, and put an eye at the top of where you want the fabric to tuck up to and an eye at the bottom, to essentially fold it up. You can put it under or over the skirt, and you can walk without the heavy gown dragging and just put it down for pictures.

Second one, a loop or two of ribbon on a seam that you can stick your wrist/arm through to raise it off. That one probably won't give you a whole lot of lift or will still ache your arms, but it's a really easy one to use.

Third one, a balayeuse. Traditionally they were used in the Victorian era to keep dress trains from getting ruined- basically, it's a detachable sort of underskirt made of a tough, cheap fabric (traditionally they were often ruffled) that tacks on to the underside of the dress and can be taken off to wash, OR worn as a petticoat with a somewhat-longer train than the dress itself, that keeps the rest of the train off the ground.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote