View Single Post
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #5010
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Back in the 50's I know that was the case with flight attendants. You needed perfectly coiffed hair, girdles, silk stockings, the standard uncomfortable dressy suit and high heeled shoes, and red lipstick to do your job. And once you married or turned 30, you were fired.

Also, I had a job interview with one small downtown boutique who was also very looks and weight-based when hiring. They sold European clothes at ridiculously inflated prices, so they only went as high as a 12 US for sizes, and it was a requirement stated in my interview to wear makeup, dressy shoes and store products at work and the employee discount was almost nonexistent (HA! FORTY BUCKS for a simple tank top and $200 for a pair of high heels? FUCK NO. I NEED MY MONEY TO LIVE ON, NOT SPEND IN ONE PURCHASE EVERY WEEK). Even if I had gotten the job, like hell I would've stayed.
My job at an Asian-owned jewellery kiosk did involve them hiring smaller people, too, but that was a practical and not aesthetic reason- there wasn't much space to maneuver in the kiosk and you couldn't be too big, or quite simply, you weren't gonna fit into your workplace, espcially with all the bending and crouching you'd be doing each shift (there was something like two and a half feet of clearance at most from case to central stand on three of the four sides. I wore a size 11/12 then and usually didn't have more than a few inches with my arm at my sides if I was walking straight through).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 12-30-2012 at 12:39 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote