View Single Post
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #62339
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I'm in total agreement with you about gender specific things for babies and toddlers. And I think that it's gotten a lot worse. When I had babies, I really didn't have any trouble finding neutral clothes. My daughter wore a lot of her older brother's hand-me-downs. But whenever I've looked for clothes for LD EVERYTHING has been pink ponies or blue trucks. :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
There seemed to be a lot more in the way of, like, dressing kids in turtlenecks and overalls and sort of interchangeable stuff when I was little. I don't even remember what the kids I babysat wore. Now, as parents (read: moms) feel compelled to dress their children in "fashionable" clothing, it seems to be more strongly gendered. They keep some yellow and green shit around for babies in case parents don't announce the gender ahead of time or opt to be surprised, but once they're a year old you are SOL.

So I tend to buy a lot of black and gray and skulls or monsters or guitars, basically the same things I'd put a girl in.
When my broher and I were young (early to mid 80's) I'm pretty sure that our clothes would have been pretty much interchangable (except for the size lol). But in all the photos I have of myself as a kid that weren't a special occasion, I had very gender neutral clothing. Lots of primary colours, no frills. Granted, part of that might have been because my parents were expecting a boy - surprise! - but there really does seem to be a difference. I wonder just what changed people's buying habits.