View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
KatyCruel

This last November, I went to a Steampunk convention in Madison. Being a 17 year old girl and BROKE, I had to work with what I had. The only items I purchased brand new specifically for Steampunk were my goggles (gotten at the Pawstar booth at an anime con), my bowler hat ($17 at Fanplusfriend), and my antler and cameo brooch.

Of course, being a seasoned Ren Faire worker, I have the advantage of already possessing several punk-able skirts as well as a LOVELY underbust corset. But most of my costume was pieced together from pieces of my lolita get-ups, ren costumes, mother's clothing, and things I just already owned.

Don't be afraid to shop around. Even brand new, as long as you're buying in pieces, Steampunk doesn't have to be expensive. If I gathered all of my Steampunk costumes together in one places and tallied the prices, it would probably come to well over $700, but that's almost entirely made up of things I already owned - swing dresses worn with petticoats and waistcoats, my freshman prom dress that I altered. My main suggestion is that you shouldn't try to do it all at once. If you're in a thrift store, maybe not even looking, and happen to see a lovely vest or a nice looking shirt, grab it. You may not have anything to wear it with YET, but eventually, you will, and it will pull together, and you will look dashing.
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote