View Single Post
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarbuz View Post
Hello, all! I'm new! My first post!
I actually have started making eating changes (rather than dieting) based around a low-carb plan. Generally I keep my carb count around 50-100g on work-out days (M-F), and drop to 0-50 on off-days (Sat & Sun). However, I derive all my carbs from fruits (in the morning) and veggies, and try to make those veggie-portions large. I stick to lean meats like chicken, fish, turkey. I've lost ten pounds with cardio and weight-training in two weeks and am starting to see definition.
As much as I like it, it won't be permanent since my goal in the long run is to bulk up (in order to attain perfect Orc ferocity!!!!) after getting rid of a lot of fat, and that, based on some reading I've done, requires a lot more carbs than a low-carb diet permits, a good mixture of carbs and proteins. Since I'm not here yet, I'm not sure what the carb/protein balance is yet for bulking up, but I can't imagine keeping my carb count this low the rest of my life.
Once you get to a pretty lean state (<15% according to Lyle) you have enough insulin sensitivity to handle more carbs. The purpose of a low-carb diet is to burn as much fat as possible by limiting the amount of insulin produced, and decrease insulin resistance due to having a low body fat.

Insulin sensitivity is the ability for the body to respond to the food consumed, and return back to its fasted, "fat-burning" state. Think of insulin levels as mountain peaks with each peak corresponding to a meal. High sensitivity would look like jagged spikes on a mountain while low sensitivity would look like a typical peak and valley.

For lean bulking, it's more of a tool than a lifestyle because the satiety of a low-carb diet makes hypercaloric diets difficult to do, let alone the increased benefits of carbs in its ability to produce muscle glycogen with high insulin sensitivity. You're on the right track of increasing carbrohydrate intake on rest days, just don't be afraid of increasing the amount because you're going to have good amount of insulin sensitivity from the workouts and being at a lean state. Just swap them with fat for the workoutdays (ie high protein, moderate carb), and vise versa for rest days (high protein, moderate fat)
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote