View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Arti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
I hate to run around dropping knowledge bombs but that eating model greately resembles the classic "breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, dinner like a pauper", where the idea of having less food before bedtime will result in less fat gain from the slowed digestion. But generally it's all a myth.

A lot of the misconception comes from the bad diets that do involve the latter, where an overabundance of processed food leads to unnecessary snacking, especially in the later evenings. If the same idea was done but in a more healthy manner (ie get rid of the junk and actually eat a decent full dinner), then the results would be different due to the overall nutrient composition (ie more protein)

Multiple Studies, like this one have shown greater weight loss and hormonal results when Carbs are consumed later in the day, rather than before. With multiple studies based around switching around calories, it seems that more calories later in the day benefits more than calories consumed before breaking the fast.

A few means of reasoning is that:
  • a late meal, which should be rich in proteins, combined with the increased hormones produced during sleep (Growth Hormone to be exact) provides a sufficient way to provide maximal recovery during rest via protein synthesis (also a muscle sparring effect)

  • The boost in leptin from the increased carb intake later in the day carries over during sleep, providing satiety throughout the sleep, and reducing hunger in the waking hours.(source)

And for meal frequency. It does not matter how many meals one takes, as meal frequency and metabolism are insignificant, given the calories consumed are constant. Some people like 6 meals (yes I include snacks--anything involving putting food into your mouth in a periodic manner is a meal) over 3 meals because they can adhere better, some just like 3 meals for bigger meals that make them for better satiety (ie, when you snack, it's likely that your body has adjusted to eating at that time from ghrelin, or you haven't ate enough from your previous meal), but as for increasing meal frequency just to regulate metabolism in any way is just fruitless.

Finally, weight loss should NOT be a race. Focus more on your workouts, and your eating. You know that it's working when you're progressing on your workouts, and your eating habits consists of less processed food (70% of the time it's junk food that sits alongside the pantry isles, the other 30% is bread)
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote