View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

If I can do it, you can do it.

2005: Went with one friend. Was quiet, and met up with a few of HIS friends. I felt out of place.

2006: Brought young brother with us. Friend's girlfriend at the time came with us as well. Wasn't too comfortable with my brother that year with us. Made the year kind of a living hell for me, but I also was inspired in 2005 to make AMVs, so this was my first year competing. Was worth it to be part of something, without being infront of people.

2007: My two AMVs made it into the contest. Didn't win, but felt like I was part of it. Friend of my friend's girlfriend joins us this year. Pretty enjoyable year.

2008: First real cosplay. Sadly, my hat didn't work out for me. Pants were too tight, but easily replaceable. Felt like a mess still.

2009: My first year MtF crossplaying. This took a bigger jump in guts than anything before it. Walking out in a dress and heels was pretty darn scary outside of the hotel, and my makeup suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I mean, I was orange. Seriously. It was awful. I try to forget that year, but I am sure others won't forget the orange male Chii.

2010: Returned to try as Chii and tried better. Still kinda failled, but wasn't orange, so yay!... Eyes bearing down on me still kind of uncomfortable, but I didn't let that get to me.

2011: Crossplay becomes near-second nature. Get a Cardcaptor Sakura crossplay. Greatly improve. Friends see me, and one was shocked at how much better I have gotten. Less eyes glaring.

2012: I trapped a gameshow host. Made my year. Sure, I was in front of an audience, but you know, when I was in that moment, it was awesome. My team loved me. The host called me "Secret surprise" If being infront of a gameshow in a dress didn't build me up, nothing would. In the end, we won, I knew alot, and my team actually looked at me for a bunch of answers.

So, from 2005, I am there, just me and one friend, and me being super quiet, to 2012 with me being a decent cosplayer/crossplayer who has the guts to get up on a gameshow stage in front of a huge audience.

As you can see, I segwayed myself to where I am socially these days. I try for fun. I say, go with a friend, and start from there. Being accompanied by a friend should help loosen you up. Once you are into the con, it will feel like home, and everyone not at the con will practically be ignored.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote