Thread: Then and Now
View Single Post
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

I like this thread and I'll join in the fun. I've always been a big fan of posting my pictures here on this website so people can look through my images and see a clear progression of my skills over the past few years. I don't feel like resizing these images, so I'm just going to link to them for those who are interested. The first image you won't find on my profile because I took it before I even made this coscom account.

Black and White Fairy

This image is when I used film and was taken in 2006. Yes, I use to use black and white film in Anaheim and manual focus EVERYTHING. Those things have changed now and this is a representation of my current work.

Fire Fall Crystal

So you can see a clear difference. You can browse through my pictures on my profile. It starts with my purchase of a Rebel XTI and my transition into digital in 2007. Then I stopped doing manual focus and starting using auto focus. 2009 was my last year of doing strictly photography and in 2010 I started to play with photomanipulation. You can see this with my Mortal Kombat shoot and a few other shots. Then in 2011 I started doing a lot more photomanipulation. You can see a lot more of the images from 2011 use extensive editing, some are very novel attempts, but even from the 2011 photos you can see a huge jump from this to this. And now I'm working on 2012 and developing my skills in the direction I want. Once I started doing heavy editing, my understanding of lighting, physics, and other photo mechanics have improved drastically. I feel my development from 2006-2010 has been minimal, but my development from 2011-2012 has BEEN HUGE.

There are some drawbacks though. I feel I sacrificed taking good stand alone photos in 2012 because I was looking to take photos specifically for post processing. In 2011 and 2010 I focused on taking the best photo I could, but in 2012 I put less emphasis on composition, and just tried to get shots that I knew I'd be able to fit into a variety of backgrounds. Now, I didn't completely abandon my style of photography, this is one of my favorite photos from 2012, but I know a lot of the pics I've posted would be boring if it wasn't for the photomanipulation. Next year I'm going to try and merge the 2 different styles a bit more. Generally a well composed photo doesn't need editing and that's the challenge, balancing composition and photomanipulation so that one doesn't over power the other. I miss some of my former simplicity, but being stuck with the same backgrounds at AX for the last 4 or 5 years I feel really stagnates my photography, which is part of the reason why I've transitioned into photomanipulation.

Anyway, here's looking to the future!!!
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote