I have cheated, and used pillow stuffing to recreate Roland
's cowl, because I wanted something that would look the same every time it's worn. I made a base layer with scrap fabric (it was a lovely garish fleece) that was the shape of the finished cowl with the appropriate sized hole for his head.
After that I started putting on the top layer of fabric, starting from the neck hole and working my way out. It's ditch-stitched as I go, and stuffed as I see fit.
It's the cheaters way to do it, but (I think) it looks great.
I don't seem to have a photo of it being worn, but here's
a shot of it being held up during the dying process.