View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #5450
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Okay. So I finished Ni No Kuni a few days ago.

So...here's the thing. Ni No Kuni spends a lot of time and effort building a really interesting charming world filled with charming characters who aren't very interesting. The idea that the protagonist, Oliver, is only trying to save the world because he can get something out of it is interesting. But the game doesn't do much with it. Oliver is always the jesus character, he cannot be out of line or express a lot of personality towards the things going on around him. So he comes of as sort of bland.

But forget that, because the game is interesting to want to go through the whole thing. Here's the biggest problem the game has. From the beginning of the game to a very specific point (spoilers:

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
You defeat Shadar
), it's a great game that's full of whimsy and has enough interesting twists and turns to keep your attention. Trouble is, after that point, there's another 10 to 20 hours that are bolted onto the end of the game, and those 10-20 hours are where the game suddenly starts shaking itself apart. Suddenly everything wrong with the combat system is revealed with a giant spotlight, the narrative becomes a huge info dump, and the game stops giving you side quests but isn't long enough to properly lead down a path where you level up naturally. All of a sudden you MUST grind, you MUST figure out the best weapons, armors, and familiars in the game, the strategies you've been using all game no longer work and you find yourself often being comboed by enemy special attacks because enemies suddenly don't adhere to the pausing rules that your special attacks have had for the entire game. And to top it off, the end boss of the game is super major bullshit. Someone at level 5 doesn't understand the difference between being difficult and being cheap. It took me about 20 tries over the course of 3 or 4 days to beat it, and most of those attempts were the boss comboing me for damage that, even when blocked, still killed me in one hit. And if you DO beat the end boss, there's a post game mode to finish up side quests that give you nothing (as far as I know).

http://t.co/BWfrgpCw

This is Ni No Kuni in a nutshell. A well produced, impressive, beautiful, well choreographed production that you don't want to look away from, that completely shits itself at the end.

I made a video about it when I still liked it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TAEP...bYNbJA&index=1

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~

Last edited by Mesoian : 02-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote