View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #5222
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post

On a similar but not really similar topic, I am really sick of people treating depression like a cry for attention or a joke. Today in history we were talking about culture, and we had to list modern groups of people that can be compared to a culture. On the board were things like jocks, geeks, honor students, emo, etc. Then someone is called on, and he says he put "depressed people". In response, a majority of the class laughed/snickered, and one even called out "isn't that the same as emo?". I'm probably overthinking it, but it made me feel really uncomfortable, especially because I had just taken my Prozac since the first time I eat during the day is second block (granted, nobody noticed or knew I was taking medication except for the teacher).

Oh, and if I hear one more person say "You're depressed? How can you be? You always seem so happy!" I am going to punch someone in the face. I hate it when people say things along those lines. When I told one of my friends that I used to struggle with disordered eating, she looked me in the eyes and said, "How could you have anything close to an eating disorder? You're not skinny or anything." I usually try not to swear at people, but fuck you.
People can be dicks. I started getting depression in middle school. Every one said it was just me growing. Like I would grow out of my depression and get over my eating disorder in a couple months. Most of my friends didn't take it seriously. They teased me about my eating disorder and called me emo. When I talk to them now they act like they don't remember and the ones who do remember say it's because there was just no way I had issues. So many people are so ignorant. It gets frustrating.