View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #5223
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Thank you. This post is amazing. =3=

On a similar but not really similar topic, I am really sick of people treating depression like a cry for attention or a joke. Today in history we were talking about culture, and we had to list modern groups of people that can be compared to a culture. On the board were things like jocks, geeks, honor students, emo, etc. Then someone is called on, and he says he put "depressed people". In response, a majority of the class laughed/snickered, and one even called out "isn't that the same as emo?". I'm probably overthinking it, but it made me feel really uncomfortable, especially because I had just taken my Prozac since the first time I eat during the day is second block (granted, nobody noticed or knew I was taking medication except for the teacher).

Oh, and if I hear one more person say "You're depressed? How can you be? You always seem so happy!" I am going to punch someone in the face. I hate it when people say things along those lines. When I told one of my friends that I used to struggle with disordered eating, she looked me in the eyes and said, "How could you have anything close to an eating disorder? You're not skinny or anything." I usually try not to swear at people, but fuck you.
There's a serious issue our society has in how we treat mental illness. I think a major part of it comes from how it's portrayed in entertainment forms where characters are shown to be 'cute and quirky' because of their mental illness. That includes things like eating disorders. The image of anorexia and bulimia is a rail thin fragile looking young woman and people get this concept in their minds that if your fat, or anything beside skeletal looking, that you mustn't have an eating disorder. But you need to understand these people have no idea how the human body works, these people don't know what they're talking about and shouldn't be listened to or have their opinions valued. YOU know your body, you know what's true and wasn't it. You don't need their opinion to validate your eating disorder.

Don't feel bad about cutting toxic people out of your lives. If you have people that you find are not supportive and are hurtful to your mental health do not ever feel bad about taking the steps to live without these toxic people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
I think that's a troll account, if I recall correctly.
I was referring to the mentality as a whole and gave a random example, I wasn't aware that someone ACTUALLY did that. But I shouldn't really be surprised.

It bothers me because a trauma trigger is a serious thing that can mentally harm someone. It's not cute. It's not something people make up to tell others not to say things they just don't like.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote