View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #2119
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I'm using espresso, darkest roast I could find (based on the advice I got from consulting a few recipes, I didn't bother with the really expensive blends just the midrange Sainsbury's own brand stuff). I happen to own an old fashioned espresso maker (the sort you put on the hob), so I've brewed it with that for tomorrow.

I don't know how much vanilla pods cost in the USA, but they cost about £2 each here, which isn't much for about two bottles.
I wish I had an espresso maker. Or at least a coffee grinder. I find I use a lot of espresso for baking and I have to use the instant stuff because we don't even have a coffee maker anymore.

From what I understand, there are places you can buy or order vanilla beans in bulk pretty cheaply. The thing is, how often do I use whole pods? Possibly once a year? So even if they keep for a year or two, it's a waste of money unless I have lots of friends to share them with. Which I don't.

Going into the market and getting a bottle of maybe 3 or 4 scrawny, dry, ugly vanilla pods will probably cost you $15. That's, what, $4 or $5 a pod? Penzey's is a big spice distributor in the U.S. and even theirs are over $3 a pod. I'm guessing that they were probably the costliest ingredient, though, even counting the rum.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote