View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Ever since I first went, I met a LOT of people at cons. The ways I have done this and have made friends have been:

- Taking part in team (randomly chosen) gameshows. If the team is friendly enough, I am sure after the game, most would be willing to keep in contact. I did once where my team won, and we even exchanged email addresses.

- Planning online meetings.... I met one girl at a CLAMP photoshoot plan, and she was pretty awesome. She even gave me a box of pocky. xD

- Having friends within a state or two away I know online attend. I have as much as had my guild leader in White Knight Chronicles attend Anime Boston before after I told him about it, and he came, and I watched the Masquerade with him and his friends before.

- Cosplaying popular, yet not so popular to be cosplayed characters, like Alphose Elric in the suit of armor, or a Gundam, or something. A lot of attention is given to those people.

- With the above said, full body suits in general tend to really catch people to you, which in turn, might start conversations.

- If you are a male, pulling off a decent female crossplay tends to really get people interested with you too. I have done this and I have had store vendors and people talk to me all happy like and such. Always interesting to people seeing guys work so well that they pass off. Once someone finds out you are a guy, it will be a big alienation, or a big "WOW, YOU ROCK"

- Try to make yourself stand out. Break dance to music or whatever.

- Be plain nice. Hold doors for people, compliment costumes, and if someone loses something, and you are sure you know who lost it, give it back. Little things like that can make someone very happy.

The more you make yourself memorable, the better the odds of making people want to be your friends. It's not very hard, but it works out best too if you are engaging. There are FAR more introvertive people at conventions than extrovertive. Be an extrovert, and you open doors.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote