View Single Post
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
MotherSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
Having a good wig is really important. It doesn't matter how great your costume is, if your wig looks like it came from Party City or Wal Mart, it's going to make the whole thing look mediocre.
Along the lines of this, some cosplays look made really well, and then they have no wig. I would rather not see a crappy wig on a costume, as I explained to a friend the other day, wigs can make or break the costume, but it also bothers me when there is no wig. Now in some cosplays, regular hair looks fine. But most of the characters I see around cons need a wig.

I also feel that props and amazing attention to detail will make a costume so much more. I am working on Veran right now and I don't have a prop, so I'm paying close attention to small details here and there. But I am also debating on making a prop, I was thinking about getting one of those rubber balls from walmart or something and covering it in that loose flowing fabric like they do for the Halloween cauldrons. I was thinking if I could make a little 'fireball' I could use that as a prop and use it for great poses!

In reality it really is the small attention to detail, props, wigs, good quality items. People will be able to tell if you just threw the costume together with no thought and care. That's why I make sure I have at least 3-6 months to work on my costumes before the cons because I do not want to be that person rushing at the last minute. My amaterasu was not rushed, and it looked really good considering it was my first made cosplay. I am redoing her to make her better now that my skills have slightly improved and that I got inspired to add more detail like more layers and beading/embroidery and a small pair of angel wings. But as long as you take your time and care for your cosplay, it'll look amazing!
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote