View Single Post
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
msleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
With new accounts, they limit your ability to post some things until you hit a certain submission count. It looks like amazing work so far.

What software do you tend to use? What job do you do that gives you access to a laser cutter? I'm quite jealous. I work for a govt contractor myself, so I get to see all sorts of similar wonderful equipment, but since the govt technically owns it, I don't get to play with it
Yeah I understand why accounts are limited, that's just weird that some of my posts made it through moderation queue and others didn't.

For the 3D modeling I used Blender. It's a free program, but the interface is a little dense for total newbies getting into 3D design. That said, there are a ton of really great video tutorials available online, I strongly recommend the ones on 3dbuzz.com. There are also other modeling packages that may be easier to get into if you've never done it before.

For the 2D laser cutting stuff, I used Inkscape. It's a free design programmer, kind of similar to Illustrator. You can very easily create vector images, which you will eventually use in your laser cutting. I do not own or have personal access to a laser cutter. I got all of my stuff done through a member from therpf.com who has access to one. But, I have also used ponoko.com for laser cutting services and they are extremely affordable.
msleeper is offline   Reply With Quote