View Single Post
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #4888
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
hag, too bad 90 percent of communication is non verbal, because my own personal communication style doesn't translate that well to text only due to my inherent sarcastic, dry humor style.
Pinoy, I would have never guessed that you were being humorous. To me, your posts usually read as enraged. But I take you at your word. As exasperating as I often find you, you also bring up points that no one else here does. I said it earlier - this thread can be an echo chamber and that's a bad thing. More than once in replying to one of your posts I have gone to back to check on a quote or incident only to find that it was not exactly what I remembered or that it had been taken out of context and didn't really support my argument. Re-assessing and adjusting my views when necessary makes my arguments stronger. Only talking to people who always agree with you is neither very interesting nor intellectually healthy. I used to read Christopher Hitchens for the same reason even though he could be infuriating. So all in all, I'm glad that you post here.

YES, VIMES! I JUST COMPARED PINOY WITH HITCHENS! DEAL WITH IT!!!!!

Quote:
Actually i agree with earlier statements about the sequester just being much ado about nothing. Yes there are cuts, but frankly cuts need to be made. I think the real argument needs to be where the cuts will be made.
I think we've past the point where straight-forward cuts are going to be sufficient to change anything. We need a huge entitlement overhaul - most obviously in healthcare. Obamacare, or any other program, will fail miserably if costs are not addressed. While I'm glad that healthcare reform was a major issue in Obama's first term, it is frustrating beyond belief that they were not even discussing the actual problem which is cost control. They avoided it partly because it is going to require changing tort law, which is a Democratic sacred cow, and partly because it's going to require a hard look at end of life care which makes up a large percentage of Medicare costs. That's going to piss off old people and they are more likely to vote than young people.

Quote:
Every group wants to protect their own funding (low income people wanting to protect current level of social services) or stop funding parts of government they find bothersome (corporations desiring to get rid of government regulation by reducing funding of enforcement)
Agreed. See my last two sentences above.

Quote:
As far as increasing the minimum wage, it is true that minimum wage workers earn less than minimum wage workers from the 60s. However, raising the minimum wage, probably isn't the solution. Economics proves that increasing the minimum wage will simple result in fewer jobs overall and increase the rate of inflation.
I am skeptical that "economics" ever proves anything. The global economy is a complex system. Economists devise theories and models to try to understand it and predict outcomes. They are not terribly successful (see: crash, housing market, 2008). There are conflicting studies on the effect of minimum wage on employment (many of them no doubt partisan). I'm skeptical about a number of assertions on both sides of the argument, but tend to agree with you that it isn't much of a solution. OTOH, I have to consider the morality of a society where someone can work full time and yet still live below the poverty line. I don't know what the answer is but "do nothing because poor people are stupid and lazy" shouldn't be one of the options.

Quote:
I can tell you one thing that would help American workers. Enforce strict penalties against employers who employ illegal immigrants. It is the flood of cheap labor that depresses wages.
Yeah, don't see that happening though. Cheap labor benefits business and both parties are beholden. Plus you'd have to make the penalties big enough to hurt otherwise the businesses just take their slap on the wrist and carry on. Which is what they do with environmental and banking laws.

Quote:
I'm sure we both love freedom equally, but different people of course will have different perspectives based on a myriad of factors.
Thank you. When both parties agree that everyone is starting out with good intentions, it is possible to debate and compromise. This is why I hate the segment of the Republican party that insists that Obama's, goal, his actual purpose is to weaken and destroy America. With that assumption, compromise and governing becomes impossible. My greatest fear is not that this faction of the Republican party (trying not to stereotype all Republicans) will destroy Obama - it's that they will destroy the Republican party. Frighteningly, they seem to be well on their way.

Last edited by The Hag : 03-01-2013 at 06:06 PM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote