View Single Post
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #40
Kelley
Devil of Details

They clearly want to look sexy, so what ? What's wrong with that ?

Is that any more weird or wrong than wanting to look exactly like a bunch of pixels ?

See, Thor from The Avengers has a pretty big fan-base of girls who think he's SEXY. Maybe they want to cosplay Thor and show their fangirl love for Thor and sexiness in general but don't feel his costume as-is would be as sexy on them as they think it is on the actor. So they make it their own flavour of sexy that fits them. So what ? Yes, some people might find a more covered-up version sexy too or even more sexy - but they're not the one wearing it so they can do whatever they want on their own time.

And so what the girl didn't know what a Rancor was ? Maybe she just saw the movie once or twice and liked the costume. Maybe she just likes it because she thinks it's sexy and doesn't give two craps about Star Wars at all - so what ? My mom owns an Adventure Time shirt because she thought it was cute even though she has no idea what the show is, and while we make fun of her for it there's nothing wrong with doing that. She thought it was cute why can't she enjoy it just because she doesn't know the "lore" ? Is there some lore test we need to pass to be REAL FANS and have the right to wear a costume ? Not everyone takes cosplay seriously - for some it's the same mentality as Halloween and that's OKAY. Why are people so judgemental about how people are allowed to have fun ? You are having fun wrong !

Plenty of people cosplay non-sexy costumes where they don't know the series and it's generally considered fine by people who aren't anal-retentive about who is allowed to like a certain thing - sometimes people pick a costume because they liked the design or the challenge of making it or because their friend wanted them to or whatever. Just buying a costume isn't wrong, either. Not everyone sews or wants to - as long as they don't try to claim they did and win a costume contest based on a falsehood, so what ?

The two girls that you posted, I don't see anything wrong with them or their costumes. I've seen other girls do "sexy female Thor" costumes and while it doesn't make it more legitimate than buying, a lot of them are making these costumes themselves. It's what they want to do and they're having fun. Avengers, especially has a huge female fandom behind it and these girls are doing what THEY want. So what if it's not how YOU would express yourself ?

I can tell the Sexy Link girl put thought into her costume. Everything she's wearing has a game counterpart. Yeah, there are bad "sexy costumes" just like there are bad not-sexy costumes, but I don't think these even fall in that category. If someone likes Legend of Zelda and looking sexy, WHY NOT COMBINE THE TWO. It's like those taco commercials which should teach us an important life lesson - if you like two things POR QUE NO LOS DOS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
This whole thread reeks of slut shaming, I'm disappointed in this community. You'll all run screaming to the aid of someone getting called 'too fat' or 'too black' or 'too pale' but God forbid you defend the people who are 'too slutty' and actually also deserve not to be demonized and insulted.
I'M NOT COMFORTABLE WITH GIRLS BEING SEXY IN A WAY THAT I DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD BE SEXY LET'S CONTROL HOW WOMEN GET TO BE SEXY OKAY GREAT THANKS I CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT NOW WITHOUT HAVING MY FANTASIES DESTROYED BECAUSE SOME GIRL DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE WATER TEMPLE IS BECAUSE I CAN'T GET OFF IF SHE DOESN'T HATE IT TOO BYE

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote