View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #150
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

1) What Machine do you own? I have a Bernina 730 "Record".

2) When did you purchase it/how old is it? My grandmother bought it in the early '70s and I ended up with it after she passed away last year. In other words, it's been in the family longer than I have.

3) How much sewing experience do you have? I'm a noob. :3 I have many half-finished projects and few finished ones. Friends and relatives give me advice and tips, and I go to all the costuming panels at cons. I'm very close to finishing a bodice that I thought was going to be difficult, and I'm super proud of it. So yeah, noob.

4) What do you like most about the machine? It's solid and reliable, and doesn't throw a hissy every time I ask it to sew over an existing seam or through several layers of cloth and interfacing. (Unlike my poopy old early-2000s Kenmore.) It may have sat untouched in its case for ten or fifteen years before I took it out and used it, and it doesn't seem to think that any time has passed. (Confession: I haven't had it tuned up yet!) It's also remarkably quiet. Oh, and instead of a foot pedal, it has a sort of knee lever. I find it way easier to finely control the speed with that rather than a foot pedal.

5) What do you not like? Ummmmm. It has no power switch? :P I have to unplug it to turn it off.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? In a heartbeat, if you can find one. I think I've seen the same model in sewing machine stores for $300-$400 CAD. I've heard of people getting them second-hand from the owner for $200. Of course, remember that if you buy any used machine, you may need to factor in the cost of a tuneup on top of the purchase price. (If you buy it from a shop, ask if that's already been done.) Oh, Switzerland. First the chocolate and the cheese, then the watches, and now this. Is there anything you can't do?
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote