View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Thank you, your comment we're helpfull. Basically what I'm getting is do it quick, do it gracefully, and do it in the open (as part of the skit). Maybe it would help if I stated what the costumes are. A Vanellope Von Sweetz Princess Version and a Glitch Version underneath (Wreak it Ralph).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressofSquee View Post
Cute idea. BUT. There is a lot to be considered. Time limit will definitely be a major factor in this. If you can't change your costume in less than 10 seconds, I would consider doing something else. Count it out for yourself. 10 seconds is an eternity on stage.

If you can change that quickly, great. Moving on. Is a screen necessary? Is there an artful way you can change or is it going to involve a bit of unsightly twisting and pulling? Being able to change gracefully in front of the audience is far more interesting to them than a blank screen since they're then involved in the transformation, even if you have a couple of invisible helpers. Doing it that way would also mean that you could take more time to make the change.

Hope this helps! Let's just say I'm used to taking things off on stage.
Yes. With practice I think the wearer could get the first costume off in ten seconds. Velcro and helpers would allow for the ten second change but the wearer would need to step out of the costume. There might be unslightly twisting and pulling. Frankly, I think the wearer would be too nervous to change gracefully or artfully in front of everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
The only time I've seen costume changes done well in the context of a masquerade is when it's a costume hidden beneath another where the top layer is very easily pulled away - like tossing off a large trenchcoat, cloak, bathrobe, etc. It's usually referred to as a "reveal." A friend of mine did an amazing performance last year where she did five different concept Wonder Woman costumes in less than 45 seconds - each layer was an instant easy peel-away that she was able to undo and swish elegantly off her body while doing a twirl across the stage until she got down to hipster!WW in jeans and a t-shirt at the bottom layer. The key was in designing how the costumes would flow from one to the other and then incorporating it into the performance itself.

That said, masquerade performances aren't the same as theatre. A lot of things that fly on a theatre stage won't do at all on a masquerade stage. Not the least of which is disappearing for more than 10 seconds. It really does depend on the costumes, though - I would not recommend an actual stripping down and getting into another costume. You would do better being able to wear both at once, in layers, plus or minus a hat or prop or something that can be handed to you when the change is complete. People really enjoy reveals, it's part of the ooh and aah factor of masquerades when you reveal a whole 'nother costume somehow. But completely changing, particularly if your character is the focus of the skit and/or you don't have an enormous group carrying the rest of the skit while you disappear, is much harder to do.
The first costume would completely cover the second. Unfortunately, it won't be as easy to take off as a trenchcoat or similiar. The stripping down and switching props is what I was going for. Twirling seems to be the key here. If I can make a top costume she can twirl out of then the rest is easy.