View Single Post
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
EelKat
Bride of Sesshomaru

I have been CosPlaying longer than most people (since the late 1970s), won several contests, and in my 30s started life acting (living 24 hours a day 7 days a week "in costume" - I don't own a shred of "normal" cloths now), my costumes have ranged from anime, cartoons, manga, comics, movies, tv shows, literature figures, historical reenactment, SCA personas, and original characters. In all my time I have never once seen a contest that judged based on "character accuracy", heck half the time the judges don't have a clue who most of the characters they are judging even are.

I'm thinking too that perhaps you are misinformed as to what CosPlay is. The term was created in the 1960s by members of the SCA and means "Costumed Role Playing". These original folks ALWAYS did original characters, usually Medieval. It wasn't until the 1970's that super hero costumes, Dungeons and Dragons, LoTR, Star Trek, and Star Wars got added to the trend. Cartoon characters got added in the 1980s, and Japan did not add anime, manga, and video game characters into CosPlay until the 1990s. Sure by 2000's the anime and manga character took over, but CosPlay started out as people LARPing their original characters. It baffles me when young folks come in saying it's all about anime and manga and NOTHING else. Nope. Original characters have always been a part of CosPlay and excluding them is well snobbish.

Anyways, I find what you are saying to be odd, because I've been doing this for 30 years and it has always been my experience that judges, judge based on workmanship, neat stitches, even seams, sturdy materials, lack of hot glue, fit to the wearer, eye appeal, etc, etc, etc. They want to see a costume that is well made, they couldn't care less who the character is.

The only time I can think of where I've ever heard of costume being judged by accuracy is at Star Wars Cons where they judge Slave Leias and Storm Troopers by a strict checklist - I've never heard of it being done outside of a Star Wars Con.

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!

Some thoughts on making a Sesshomaru costume historically accurate.

My Sewing & CosPlay Blog (where to find out what I'm working on now.)
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote