View Single Post
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #152
Catherinecat

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Singer Prelude (Cheap one from Walmart)
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
I bought it 4 years ago.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
Intermediate. I can sew a lot of different pieces, and use a variety of fabrics. I make all my costumes from scratch, and have worked with fur, vinyl, jeans, as well as the regular light-weight material.
4) what do you like most about the machine?
It has a variety of stitches to choose from with a dial, and is very easy to thread. Very nice for regular sewing (light-medium weight fabric)
Most of the time I've had trouble, it was cuz I was using all-purpose thread on insanely thick fabric (making fur ears or working with marine vinyl, both needed the heavy duty thread) I have a bit of a preference for Singer as well, because I found a local Singer store where I can pick up presser feet. Fabricland does not sell feet, and I wanted one for doing rolled hems for my yukata.
5) what do you not like?
Sometimes, it would act moody, and wouldn't work for whatever reason. Usually this happened when I was already stressed out of course......
And it doesn't like making button holes. Not sure if the problem is me or the machine, but even following the instructions step-by-step, it always jams up and takes forever to fix it. Then it refuses to even sew in a straight line for a while. I'm not looking forward to the day I actually need a hole......
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
For a beginner cosplayer? Sure. It's cheap (under $100), and works well with normal fabric. Lasted me years, and I sew at least one full costume a year. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who regularly needs heavy-duty fabric. My marine vinyl outfit was extremely annoying, and sewing fur was a nightmare. But even then, as long as you know what the fabric needs: Right tension, new needle in the right size, and right type of thread (Anything jean-size or thicker NEEDS heavy duty thread or it WILL NOT WORK)
But don't use it for long-pile fur. Its not big enough to fit the thickness of the fur between the foot and the teeth. I ended up hand-sewing some parts of the fursuit head together after sending it through the sewing machine.
Catherinecat is offline   Reply With Quote