View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
What an odd response to a critique.

As a set, it's extremely repetitive. Eight shots of the hand reaching at the camera? As a viewer, that gets boring fast. When you have near-duplicates, cull all but the best. A set of six unique shots is much better than a set of 30 repetitive shots.

In terms of content and composition, there's not enough variety for a set that large. Again, the repetition is working against you. As a viewer, it's hard to stay interested when so many of the images are nearly identical.
This is the thing I think you need to focus on most. The more of the same type of pose or picture you post, the less interesting each one becomes. The selection process is just as important as anything else. I think you have some good composition ideas, but posting the same idea 5-7 times makes me feel disinterested. Some of them I felt like clicking on to get a closer look, but when I saw 5 other ones that looked nearly identical, I didn't want to be bothered spending time thinking about which one of the set I was most interested in. So I lost interest in all of them and continued scrolling. This is how people normally behave.

Ideally you want to pick THE MOST POWERFUL image from a type of images and present that. Then you compliment it by posting other images that focus on different things. If your first image of a photoshoot is a close up portrait, then your next one should be a full body picture of a different pose. You'd then follow this up with maybe a waist up or a shoulders up shot. There's no exact science to it, but your final selection should be varied in both breadth, range, and style. This keeps people interested and will give you more views per image.

Same thing goes with editing. You don't want to have the same post processing effect on every single image. You can still keep the set cohesive even if you change the post processing effects. Diversity and variety are the keys to keeping people interested. Here's one of my collections from a photoshoot I did. There is a sense of cohesion though some images are warm, some are cool, some are vibrant, while others are more classic. http://www.cosplay.com/shoot/212725/ Every set you post should have hills and valleys. The hills are the punctuation pieces that you think really impress. The valleys are the pieces that are nice but aren't necessarily your best. The valleys are just as important as the hills. You have to give viewers some ancillary viewing so they can be thrilled by the main attractions.

Some of my best images I've taken are ones that no one has ever seen. Why? because they were too close to something else I chose to represent my set. I might have one pose that I took 6 fantastic pictures of, but only 1 of them gets shown. The other 5 are better than all the other ones I posted in my photoshoot, but I don't show them because they'd become a distraction from the 1 image I chose to represent that pose. By practicing this restraint, I create a showpiece for my set. Sometimes the most important pictures a photographer takes, are the ones that never get shown. As Van Wilder would say "Write that down."
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote