View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #153
kendraduck09

1) What machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Singer 2932

2) When did you purchase it/how old is it?
It was a Christmas present and it's almost 4 years old

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
I took a class in school and a few a Joann's. Most of what I know I taught myself or looked at tutorials online. I can sew from patterns and make them look nice, but I'd still like to learn how to draft my own patterns. In total I've been sewing for around 5 years.

4) What do you like most about the machine?
Uhh... it's portable? I brought it with me on a long road trip so I could sew while visiting family and it was fine. And for a basic machine it does have a nice variety of stitches. It's also easy to thread.

5) What do you not like?
I actually had to return the first one I got. When I set it up and began sewing... it was stuck in reverse. The reverse lever was loose and no matter what it would not sew forward. We took it back to Joann and they exchanged it for a new one. For the most part it worked fine, but three years later... now it's stuck in reverse and won't sew forward. When I took it to a sewing machine repair store they said it was jammed and would cost $100 to fix. In my opinion it's not worth fixing so I'm just going to buy a new one.

The thread gets jammed A LOT. And when it does it's pretty bad. The main problem is the bobbin thread gets ripped up and leaves all these strings hanging. (I don't know how to explain it but trust me when I say it has given me so many headaches from fixing it.)

It doesn't sew through thick fabric or many layers of fabric very well. I had a new pack of needles and managed to break three of them in one sitting because it couldn't sew through the fabric. I did everything I was supposed to and they STILL broke!

The buttonhole maker is such a pain to use. I had to sew 12 buttonholes onto a jacket... but if you include the ones I had to rip out it was more like 20. Not kidding. And they're hard to rip out too. It was after I finished the buttonholes that my machine jammed like I explained above. Plus even though the variety of stitches are nice, I just now figured out how to do (some) of them. The instructions are kind of vague.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
If you're a beginner sewer like I was, this machine would be okay. Just don't count on it lasting for many years. In general though, I would not recommend this machine. I've just had too many problems with it and I was so frustrated with it. I'd like to get a Babylock machine someday, but my next machine will probably be a Brother.
-BE!Koujaku (DRAMAtical Murder)

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote