View Single Post
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
Just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
I could slap you. Even if you did mean it as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
I'm guessing you are a teacher or teaching aide. Try checking out the local thrift or second hand stores. These are good places to look for items.

Usually, if I want to make an outfit, I start with a persona. What does she do for a living, what kind of tools would she use, what is her background and education. With this information you can start thinking of what accessories she would have. Combine it with trips to the flea markets and thrift stores and you are on the way to complating your outfit.
I agree; 2nd hand stores are great for cosplay period. However, you should know want to look for first. Here is a thread that's a good start: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=320048&page=2. It is interesting to note that Thomas Willeford of Steampunk: Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos is the person who make the Steampunk Arm and other items for the Castle episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlec View Post
I would look for a "top hat" instead of a fedora. Fedora hats are icons of the 40's. I have three in different colors. As it is near Halloween, some medium quality hats are available for $10.00 or so.

Michaels craft stores carry packs of nice gears. They have other "industrial" bling.

Try to get some goggles.
I found out a few weeks ago that Bowler Hats are VERY Victorian Era. Why were invented in like the 1840's by a gatekeeper so that gentlemen wouldn't lose there Top Hats will riding. The round crown was suppose to deflect branches and not catch them like a top hat. By the 1860's every well dress man of the city had one. So, that is another option.