View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #158
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaniecat View Post
1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
4) what do you like most about the machine?
5) what do you not like?
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
1) I have a Janome 4612 Travel Mate
2) I'd say it's about 10 years old.
3) Other then making a dress in HomeEc back when it was still called HomeEc, I'm entirely self-taught. As such I've tried things that probably shouldn't be tried. I've sewn silk, satin, lace, leather, canvas, pelts, natural and artificial fabrics on this machine. Some work better then others. The heavyweight canvas no more then two thicknesses. The pelts where a problem even with paper to cheat it through. I'd suggest not using this machine to sew heavyweight canvas, but fashion leather or similar would be okay. It can sew most fabrics you'd find in a Joann's.
4) I like that I can set up most anywhere with a power supply and can take my machine with me to con. (This is also why my roommates and husband hate the machine.) It is a basic machine with a few bells and whistles. With the stretch stitch options, it is ideal IMO for a first time cosplayer. I've used it to teach first time cosplayers how to make costumes.
5) Currently, I'm unable to use my machine as it needs a new motor. (I've used it hard, in ways it probably shouldn't have been used. I'm not surprised it needs major word now.) I can't replace the motor with a generic because the type is specific to the machine. The part will cost $80. The shop where I bought the machine is no longer in business. (I hope the little old lady that ran it is retired, but I have a felling she worked right up to the end. She was a really nice gal and her love of sewing showed.)
I am now left with finding somewhere I can get my machine fixed and face a bill that will equal the price of a low end machine or convince my husband to let me have a new high end machine slightly more butch then me Travelmate, if I can find a retailer.
6) I have recommended this machine in the past and the type of shop I bought it in. My only warning is that this machine can't do everything, but it can do a lot. I'd also like to suggest reading The Hags sticky General Information of Buying a Sewing Machine ,as I made many of those same mistakes with the purchase of my first machine.