View Single Post
Unread 05-01-2014, 04:18 AM   #39
Hearth
Unregistered User

D-Jenn

Name of Commissioner: D-Jenn

Website/C.com gallery: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shoshanna2003

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Artemis from Young Justice (mask, top, pants, gloves, arm band, belt)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0f15c76f.jpg

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I commissioned the cosplay on August 4th, 2013. The deadline was November 1st, 2013. I believe I received it on either the 30th or 31st of October, 2013.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: I posted an ad in the marketplace, and D-Jenn e-mailed me with some of her past work. Since she provided quite a few examples of superhero costumes that she did, and she had glowing reviews, I chose her as my commissioner on August 4th, 2013.

When we first discussed the project, she made sure that she interpreted the references correctly and was very detail-oriented. For example, she asked if the black trim was part of the outfit or if they were straps coming from the quiver. She also explained to me what materials she intended to use for the project.

Additionally, she asked me when she wanted the project started and I said I would want her to start "as soon as possible" so that she would "have all the time possible before the deadline." I commissioned her the same day that I discussed the project with her and I put down a 50% deposit.

I tried to be the relaxed kind of customer who doesn't harass a commissioner for updates on a daily basis because I figured that they have busy lives and other commissions to do. Also, I have no experience whatsoever sewing stuff, so I felt it best to keep my nose out of things and let people do their work. Unfortunately, this ended up biting me in the butt.

I didn't hear from her again until more than a month later: September 14th, 2013. In this e-mail, she sent me pictures of fabric swatches and said that she sent me an e-mail regarding them "weeks ago." I was pretty skeptical about her claim that she e-mailed me because I use Gmail. For people who aren't familiar with Gmail, pretty much all the e-mails you receive from a person are contained in a thread called a "conversation" so you can conveniently see all your correspondences with one person on a single page. Gmail had listed the conversation as important, so I couldn't understand why it would send her message into spam. And I didn't find any of her messages in my spam folder.

Although another customer had a better experience, she also experienced issues about "emails going into her spam folder or emails not sending." If this is something that is a constant problem, I think D-Jenn should consider switching e-mail providers, or she should attempt to reach out to customers more frequently to make sure that they see her e-mails.

I was pretty concerned that I was getting fabric swatches after more than a month passed. But there was still about a month and a half left, so I pushed the doubt out of my mind. I figured it was still possible that she had gotten other work done in that time frame.

Time passed without anymore correspondence, and I e-mailed her on October 16th, 2013 telling her I was concerned because I haven't received any word from her and my convention was approaching quickly. I didn't receive a response and I e-mailed her again on October 23rd, 2013. This time she responded the next day telling me that she sent me an e-mail "a few days ago." Another e-mail that had mysteriously vanished into the ether.

Then she started asking me for measurements and I was completely mortified. She had three months to make my cosplay, and now we're about a week away from my convention. Other questions she asked me included if I wanted the mask separately from the top or if I wanted them to be a single article. I opted for them to be separate.

On October 28th, 2013, she sent me pictures of the cosplay. To my surprise, it all looked pretty good. She then shipped it out and I received it on either the 29th or the 30th. I don't remember.

The top and the pants were both really good quality. The pants were a little long, but I wore boots with the cosplay so it wasn't a big deal. And it could be from an error on my part because I measured myself.

I'm glad that I asked for the mask and the top to be separate. Now, I understand that it's really hard to make a spandex mask for someone you don't have with you in person. But it seemed like she was looking at a totally different mask when she made it. It seemed like she was trying to make a mask shaped like this when Artemis's mask looks like this. It was essentially a piece of fabric with holes cut in it. The eye holes were also really small and I looked cross-eyed when I tried it on. However, I did like how the open hair part had an adjustable elastic band and thought that was clever.

The pouches on the belt were attached using velcro. So, I could put the belt on through the belt-loops on the pants and attach the pouches to the velcro. Pretty clever. However, the second time I wore the cosplay, which was on April 19th, 2014, I realized that there was something sticky at the end of the belt. At first, I thought I had spilled something sticky on it. Later on, I realized that was not the case. The emblem and all the velcro pieces were glued on and now it was all coming apart. The pouches were openable and the velcro was coming apart on those as well. It ended up being one hot, sticky mess.

When she first contacted me about doing my commission, she said: "I can make the pants with knee pads and holster on the leg, the belt, the arm warmer/gloves, the top and the face mask. Are these all the items that you needed?" I told her that those were all the items I needed, but she did not make the pieces that I bolded and underlined. However, I gave her the benefit of the doubt for the leg holster. There were pictures of a 3D model of the character that showed front, back, and side views, and there didn't seem to be a 2D version with the same thing. The 3D model did not have the leg holster, so I can see why she overlooked that. Still, it was interesting that she left out pieces that she listed herself.

Final Grade: B, she's a talented commissioner, but you have to make sure to keep her on her toes.

Last edited by Hearth : 05-01-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Hearth is offline   Reply With Quote