View Single Post
Unread 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #20
csueshambaugh
C Sue

I've never seen a need to hide my real name because of my hobbies. When I started out, both costuming and internetting, it was during the "wild wild west" days of the internet in the late 70s and early 80s. Pretty much the only person who used an online alias that point was Moriarty, the comic book reviews guy. (That should take SOME of you way, way back.

My name has been associated with my Japanese translations since the early 80s, and for that reason I have more incentive to keep using it at cons and online. "Oh, yeah! That costumer chick who translates!" I get that a lot. Whether you think my fan translating activities made me famous or merely notorious, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm also a Big Girl who can take care of herself, online and off. I once had a real (in-person, on-campus) stalker, and believe me, there's nothing about online "stalking" that even vaguely resembles it. (People online can't hit you.) I'm not even sure what the big deal is about getting an email or two that you don't want, or having somebody ogle pictures that somebody else put online *with your permission.* Learning to bitch-slap people like that is an important life skill, especially for women.

- C Sue Shambaugh
See? Look! A real name!!
csueshambaugh is offline   Reply With Quote