By the grace of god, my mother is a seamstress and has 8+ sewing machines and sergers. There is only one sewing machine though that I use for practically everything.
1) Viking Husqvarna 1100.
2) It is about 20 years old.
3) I've actually only been sewing for about 2 years, but it is a pretty advanced sewing machine.
4) I love pretty much everything. There are so many options, it knows when to stop winding the bobbin, an alarm goes off if the presser foot is up, you can select different settings for different types of fabrics, need I go on?
5) The only problem I have with it is that when thread gets caught in it, the stitching will mess up. Of course, it is expected that a 20 year old sewing machine will need to be cleaned out every once in a while, so it really isn't the fault of the machine lol
6) I would definitely recommend the use of this sewing machine to anyone, whether they are beginners or advanced. As far as actually PURCHASING it though, you might want to look for a cheaper machine if the only sewing that you do is for cosplay. I have no idea how much these sell for now, but when my mom bought this brand new 20 years ago, it was about $2,200... So unless you have a career involving sewing, this might not be the best machine for you.