View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Nirv
The Instructor

Fitness Instructor here.

I am going to assume this is a relatively new job? If not, it would be helpful to clarify.

Anyway, first of I want to tell you not to worry. The human body is very adaptive and eventually the more (and further) you walk, the easier you will find it due to increased muscular and cardiovascular endurance/health. This is called progressive overload. If you're out of shape, believe me, you soon will be if you're doing a high number of steps. However in regards to this, you may want to research that you're getting adequate nutrition
And microvitamins not just to fuel your long hours of activity, but to aid in the repair and recovery of your legs.

As for the soreness, this is called DOMS, Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. Basically what this means is you could be fine after your shift, but 24/42 hours later the aching tenderness appears. Science has been unable to pinpoint why DOMS occur, however it's widely agreed that it's probably due to micro tearing of the muscle fibres during strenuous activity. Contrary to what we used to believe, DOMS isn't directly caused by lactic acid. There is no overnight cure I'm afraid, however the following can alleviate the pain, or even stunt the severity of DOMS before even performing the physical activity.

1 - Hot baths/sauna's/steam rooms. Hot baths are the basic go to for alleviating DOMS, why? Saturating your body in hot water causes more blood flow to the muscles which promote healing.

2 - Stretching. There's two types that are useful for DOMS which I'll explain seperately. If you're looking for demonstrations, then google the following types of stretching.

2a - Dynamic stretching. This is a stretch that also involves movement, such as kicking the leg back and forth. This is useful because not only does it pump blood to the muscles you are stretching, it doesn't cause you to lose power unlike Static Stretching. Personally, I aim to do 8 reps of dynamic stretching movements before a workout, on each muscle group. This also benefits your joints by producing more synovial fluid in cartilage, basically giving you more cushioning/shock absorption.

2b - Static Stretching. This is the the average idea of "stretching" that comes to mind of the majority of people. It's when you stretch a specific muscle and hold it for a certain period of time. There's another sub genre of stretches under static but I would recommend Maintenance Stretching which is holding the specific stretch for 15 seconds. This not only rushes blood to the stretched muscle, it also returns it back to its original length. Static stretches can temporarily cause the muscle to lose some power however, so consider performing them after work or on your days off.

3 - Foam roller. This is a "self" massage device which gives deep tissue massage. I have one myself and tend to use them after heavy squats or sprints. However you could also use a simple tennis ball.

There is a 4th but I don't think you'll like it. Light walking is actually another aid of recovery funny enough, because once again it promotes blood flow! However I'm sure it's the last thing you'll want to do if your job involves walking all day.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions either by PM or by replying to your thread I'll happily answer. I'm gonna be shameless and advertise my Instagram for other fitness tips such as these, it's pintsandpushups .

Last edited by Nirv : 05-24-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Nirv is offline   Reply With Quote