Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-21-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
ichigomewmew14

Fraying Fabric

I bought my fabric at wallmart and am almost done with my costume... but now all the fabric is fraying... I don't want to star over because I am to lazy Does any one hae any ideas to make it stop? My mom suggested hotglue the edges but I think that would make the costume stiff. What do you think?
ichigomewmew14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Fabric supply stores should sell something called "fray check" - just put it on and let it dry, and the fraying will stop.

A pair of pinking shears (the scissors that cut a zig zag) will also help, because the fabric will only unravel as far as the litle triangles.

You might try fabric gluing the edges together as well (also available at sewing supply stores).

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
Ironekilz

I agree, fray check works great.
Unread 06-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Umi
Bass-inating

Fray glue is a quick fix, but it might irritate your skin if it touches the seams you are using fray glue on. But it does work ^^

You can also go over your existing seems with a zig-zag stitch a couple of times and that will help contain the fraying and prevent it from becoming too bad.

Also since you are still working on your costume, you can also stitch the ends of your fabric under on the pieces you are still working on so that the fabric edges are inside a seam. This will also leave a very clean appearance to the inside of your costume =D
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

I swear by Fray Chek myself. I used a whole bottle on a satin robe I was making because my fabric frayed when I looked at it wrong.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
karinka Chick

They are expensive but they last forever they are called pinking shieirs (sissors) they cot on a zig zag formation and stop the fraying the good ones cost like $80.00 but I got mine from my great grandmother and she got hers when she was 9 years old there aint a thing worn with themnot even rusty (she is dead now and I am 13)
Unread 06-22-2005, 05:31 AM   #7
ichigomewmew14

Thank you everyone! You suggestions should really help!
ichigomewmew14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Jaina Solo
Rurouni Jedi

Is that what pinking shears do? Cool!

Finishing your seams will stop the fraying too, and the overal look of the costume will be more professional.
Unread 06-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Yup, that's what pinking shears are for. I remember being astounded when I found out (can't even remember how I learned, either...). They had always been just sorta neat looking. They also reduce bulk when clipping so turning curved edges and stuff is a bit easier.

Karinka's got it right about the price, though. Good pinking shears can be $50. Mine were a Christmas present, thank goodness.

I can't believe I forgot about serging or zigzaging on the machine...but right now, my machine only has straight stitch, and I haven't had the opportunity to use a machine with zigzag in 2 years. >.<

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote