Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
rei_hino
A Danger to Society

Girly-Preteen cosplayers

I'm curious, as anyone ever known adolescents like 11 to maybe 14 who only dress in costumes because they want to show off their body? You know, the (unfortunely, becoming rather common) girl who wants to look like she's 20 and wants to wear the tiny shirts showing her navel with extra low rise jeans and figures she wants her cosplay costume to convey that as well?

Or
Have you ever been treated badly by a preteen at an anime convention? I mean, has anyone of that age ever been rude to you or grabby, snobby,...you know. I'm curious. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I know a lot of people who, if they cosplayed, would see the type to dress up as something just because of the way the costume shows it all off. I'm asking because (no, I'm not a preteen XD) I know a lot of people on here, maybe most, are like 18+ and someone must have had some kind of experience. If so, please share ^^

Get ready guys, ANIME BOSTON 2007!
Princess Tutu- Fakir (Ducky pajamas)
Paradise Kiss ~ Miwako ^.^

Unread 11-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

My friend got hit on at AUSA by an 11 year old because she was dressed as the Dion Rogers Rinoa. I tend to find the really rude "preteens" who have no concept of how long it takes to make a costume or how delicate a costume can be, who glomp without warning or make snide comments because you're not a 2D character and do not always ACT like the character, blah blah, etc.
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
w00tastic
10% more Bleach

Rude behavior. Yeah thats definitly happend to me.

There was this one girl she must have been either 11 or 12 and very very snotty. She was dressed up as Chii (Which i thought showed far too much skin for a girl of her age) but being nice I tried to make a nice comment when she began telling me how ugly my shirt was ( I wasnt in total costume, I was in my Flame alchemist shirt) and how I metally wished to be as good looking as her! I mean honestly! Some children think that they have to look like 20 years old to get attention and then when they do get the attention, They just push a rude comment back in your face.

That or they tend to pull on your costume with no regard to how much time you put into making it.
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Raver-Sakura
Mad flexible Raver Skillz

Im 15, but never once was I mean, I know a few other my age and we know better than that.
Im sorry people have done that to you all, thats very unrespectful.
I know Ive never made any snide comments cause I mean, I wouldnt want someone to do that to me! eesh...some kindas can be pretty mean.. ._.
But then there are others whom can be very sweet about it atleast.
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

I've never had one be rude to me...they usually just scream otu the name of whatever character I'm cosplaying and run up and hug me..lol

I'm kind of afraid of Ohayocon this year though...the con is going to be going on at the same time/place as a cheerleading competition. I had another friend from out of state tell me the same thing happened at a con she went to and the little cheer girls were snotty and rude.

Definately not looking forward to the stories that will come from this...lol
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
Sweet~Pea
Cosplayer/Photographer

I've had quite a few experiences with rude and obnxious preteen cosplayers. When I was younger I was shy, but I knew how to act around people. Just because tey're at a convention, away from the rules of their parents and school doesn't mean they can run wild and act like idiots. It seems that every generation (not just cosplayers) are getting more wild and disrespectful.
I'm not saying this as a whole, there are plenty of younger individuals that are perfectly fine and know how to properly act in social situations.

Photoshoots available at Katsucon 2012!
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
AmazonMandy

You kind of have to take the age range into consideration. You're looking at a much younger group of people, generally immature, coming into hormones, and in a highly competative environment (junior high/high school). During those years, pre-teens and young teens tend to carry the defensive, snotty attitude around with them, and behave in ways alot of them are embarrased about later, from dressing in poor taste to lashing out and being unfriendly.

I guess the best thing you can do is remind them they don't HAVE to be mean and rude, and noone needs to hear or take it, they'd have more fun without it. And don't waste your time continueing to try to compliment or talk to them if they can't drop the attitude.
Unread 11-21-2005, 01:33 AM   #8
Rikal
$$60,000,000,000

I'll admit it, there have been instances relating to this subject in my con stories.

Little girls that need to not dress like skanks and try to hit on me then get pissed when i tell them to leave me alone annoy me pretty badly. Well actually i usually say something like "go home, put some clothes on and take some personal time to think about why you crave attension so badly" or "there is nothing about you that makes me want to go to jail so get over it" but hey sometimes i'm actually feeling nice and don't want to anger them into going away.

I once had a kid say "i don't think Chichiri had a camera" and laughed with his friend. I told him to run back to the parent that was obviously their chaperone. they said they were here alone. not 60 seconds later one of their fathers waljed up and talked to them. After he left i asked if they wanted me telling him how they were acting and how long they would stay there after he heard that. They shut up.

Yes i am often very annoyed by both mentioned types of children. Don't get me wrong there are just as many fully grown people that are even more unbearable to me but they start as kids I can't stand first. Keep them on a leash people. The less I have to deal with their immaturity the more of them you find at the end of the day.
Unread 11-21-2005, 01:37 AM   #9
BountyBebopLuva
Go ahead, obey me :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonekoMiyabi
I've never had one be rude to me...they usually just scream otu the name of whatever character I'm cosplaying and run up and hug me..lol

I'm kind of afraid of Ohayocon this year though...the con is going to be going on at the same time/place as a cheerleading competition. I had another friend from out of state tell me the same thing happened at a con she went to and the little cheer girls were snotty and rude.

Definately not looking forward to the stories that will come from this...lol

Are you serious? And I thought the teenagers from God Con were rude. I'm scared.

In Progress Planned Finished

ACen
Lloyd Asplund Code Geass: R2 Pj!Faye Valentine Cowboy Bebop - original design
Unread 11-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
kabuki_KILLER
Sewing like a spider

When I was that age, I was the ugly, fat girl that those kids made fun of. I also didn't yet cosplay, but I don't remember being particularly conceited about appearance or superficial back then.

All this talk about rude, underdressed pre-teen girls sort of reminds me of Jenny Jones shows where parents are complaining about how their children dress and the girl walks on stage being all rude. XD I don't really pay them any attention since they don't really bug me now that I'm grown up and I wouldn't really pay them attention anyways, but I see them around. They're there.
Unread 11-21-2005, 01:57 AM   #11
Miss Tea
kiss them for me

i havent run into many rude preteens, but rather "im trying really hard act older" preteens.

at ax2003, these two boys (whom were to be turning 11 and 12 "VERY soon" as they put it) kept hitting on my friend who was dressed as sumomo (plum) from chobits before and during the screening presentation for anime network. it was kinda cute at first and then it was like please leave us alone. PLEASE. we ran out of the screening room as soon as the preview was done, only to hear muttered screams of "SUMOMO!!! WHERE DID YOU GO? DON'T YOU WANT OUR PHONE NUMBERS?!?!?!"

sadly, i was a *cough* rude preteen at cons. i wish someone would have pulled me aside and slapped me back to reality. i didnt shut up during viewings, i was was annoying to other cosplayers, and just wasnt really all that nice. so i applogize now to the attendees of ax2003 and ani-magic 2004 (since i still had not yet matured enough). please accept my late applogy.
Unread 11-21-2005, 02:05 AM   #12
Crucifixation
Dark Amaranth

I am 14, and I do admit that I tend to cosplay sexier and more mature characters, but (hopefully) not the the extend of being trashy.

I have never seen such instances as stated above, fortunately. Maybe it's just because that I am living in a more conservative society. But yes, some teenagers do act like Cosplay is some sort of highschool popularity contest, completed with backstabbing and bitching about others. >_> It's just so stupid. I blame it on ignorance as part of their age (ironic, since I am too.) Some kids are just intimidated at their first con and act without thinking, I suppose.

Now that I remembered, something did happen. Though it has nothing much to do with cosplay, this girl (whom claimed to be an 'oldbie' though she has only cosplayed once, and it was ghetto. ~_~) was all for boycotting an event because she screwed up with the registering process and couldn't get a booth and blamed the convention magement for not being organized. This is what I call an extremely immature behaviour. Sometimes, it's not elitism that made us form internal class lines, but behaviours as stated above.
Unread 11-21-2005, 03:14 AM   #13
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Ok, I think this thread is a little harsh on the younger cosplayers. Yes, some of them can be a little adolescent, but some of them can be really mature as well.

I think this thread is really talking about behavior and less about cosplay, so I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. Sorry folks.
Closed Thread