Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 06-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Alivar
The Poor Wee Newbie

Yup, another newbie.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to lolita fashions, though I've been reading around a lot and looking at pictures to try and get a feel for it. I'm modifying a dress for a lolita tea party in September (at my first con!). So I figured I'd ask some questions before I got started. I get what lolita is for the most part, but I'd like to know some specifics. Some absolute don't, wat you can get away with calling lolita, and such. What's general skirt length for a lolita...well, a more goth lolita I guess, since my dress is probablly going to be a heck of a lot of red lace. Also, I was thinking of red and black, but then I started thinking about doing a different color, any suggestions? I considered yellow and white, but I'm not entirely certain. Oh, and sleeves. Are there any generally accepted rules on sleeve length?

And, just for fun, what do you think about themed lolitas? In the future I want to do a beta fish themed lolita, Cheshire Cat, and Dumbo. I even though a gingerbread girl loli might be cute for the holidays. I'll probablly have more questions in the future to.
Alivar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

skirts are typically right around knee-length. they can be longer, but are very rarely shorter.

as for red and black... i have mixed feelings. i think that if it is pulle doff nicely, it can work very well, but if not done well, it can look like something that belongs in hot topic, esepcially if you use a very bright red polyester lace. :/ but i have to see how it turns out to really know for usre if i approve~ :P (also keep in mind that i am rather strict in my views on what is and is not lolita, but i do have much more flexibility within the fashion than most do, so dont think i am some crazy elitist, because, well, i am to a point. :P)

and i L-O-V-E themed lolitas. however, i feel that they are a bit... how shoudl i say? too much, for everday wear, and should be saved for special cocasions- cons, the holidays, etc. though i do love your ideas and think they will turn out just lovely~ <3

as for sleeve elngth, you might not want to ask me, as most lolis would kill me for what i think is okay (i have odd rules about jumperskirts, mostly. :P), so i will give you the basic rundown of what most lolitas seem to think about sleeves.
-jumperskirts. these are dresses that are basically take tops. they can be sleeveless or have straps. most lolitas wear shirts underneath- these are either with short puffy sleeves or longer puffy sleeves and sometimes are embellished with lace and ribbons on the ends (though typically not too crazy on the ribbon). the shirt is typically white, though it can be black with some darker dresses. (i have seen it a lot now with a darker print dress and a black shirt.) these are usually not worn alone (*twitches becsaue she thinks it is fine in some cases but will not get into that whole thing*), as when done so, most people find it to be too "erololi", or "erotic lolita", which typically has short skirts and strap tops. so try to avoid this. the sleeves are tpycailly either a covertable sleeve or just a short/long sleeve, and a rarely flared.

-convertable sleeves. these are sleeves that are short and puffy and embellished with lace ont eh ends, but oh! what's that? some buttons on them attach to antoehr piece of fabric and you get long sleeves! :O amazing! these are very versitile and good for a beginner, and they are a very popular and common style of sleeve. the long part is usually slightly puffed, though not typically flared. (but it can be. :P) this is mostly seen on blouses, though can be seen on dresses.

-flared sleeves. these are fairly tight sleeves in comparison to the other sleeve styles, and at the ends have large flares of the fabric with layers or ruffled lace underneath. this is common in brands such as visible, and tend to have a more gothic look, though it is not unknown in sweet lolita. (i can think of maybe one exampl eoff the top of my head, and it is not nearly as pronouced of a flare as the more gothic style have.) these are rarely seen on blouses and under jumperskirts, so use them on one-piece dresses. these are, of course, longer.

sleeves are typically either jumper-style, short, long, or convertable (flared falls under long), and half-sleeves and 3/4 sleeves are rarely seen, though i suppose could be used.

hope that helps. o-o
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Alivar
The Poor Wee Newbie

Basically, it seems to me you could get away with a lot of different sleeves, as long as you aren't too muhc of a stickler. And yes, the lace is petty much bright red. I'm not sure I want to do black, like I said, but I don't want to do white either. I was thinking some sort of off-white to yellow color, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions in the color area?

Thank you very much, it's hugely helpful. Another question though- is courderoy (however it's spelled) ever used for lolitas? I thought it might work for a gingerbread girl holiday lolita. And as for other themed lolitas...well, most of my lolitas will be pretty much strictly con wear. Since I plan on having fun with them...
Unread 06-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Candycane Sores
☆ Kiss Me ☆

Yellow and white would be absolutely adorable - like lemon merengue pie!!

Welcome to lolita fashion, by the way.

My input on sleeves is to wear comfortable, but appropriate. You can, pretty much, get away with several style sleeves. You could do laced bell-sleeves, so long as they're not too belled out. There's also the puffed at the top, tied off, and belled slightly towards the bottom sleeves - think slightly Disney princess. Looking at other loli-styled dresses can give you a good idea on how the sleeves should be.

Chesire Cat? Awesome! At my first con (which won't be until after I've recovered from surgery and can save up money), I will be doing an Alice in Wonderland theme with my sister. ^^

Good luck, sweetheart!
Unread 06-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Alivar
The Poor Wee Newbie

Again, thank you so much! So, you think red and yellow or off-white would work? I was kind of nervous about posting here, but now I'm glad I did!

Maybe red and dark purple or blue....
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
Candycane Sores
☆ Kiss Me ☆

Hmmm... So long as it's off-white and red, that'd be fine, yellow and red would be a little iffy. ^^ But really now, it is up to you. Dark purple and blue would be nice, too. ^^ Once again, best of luck, sweetie.
Unread 06-23-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
TeddyBearNarcs
Panda Loli-Chan!

I agree with Nina Star. Skirts, at a maximum, should be two inches above the knee. In regards to the sleeves ((about the JSK sleeves)) - JSKs are sleeveless, yes, but wearing them without a blouse underneath immediately turns the outfit from lolita to erololi - though some may argue that doesn't exist - because you're showing your shoulders. Lolita is all about showing as little skin as possible, really, and shoulders are considered too much skin. Just a heads up. In regards to color: Many people don't like the redxblack or blackxpink colored lolis, because it looks too cosplay, and less fashion-based ((reminiscent of hot topic and 'normal' goths)). I'm actually one of those people, unless, however, you add another color to the mix. I.e., red, black and white make a good color combination. I have a metamorphose cutsew that's red and white that I pair with a black underbust JSK and red/black striped socks ((which many people hate, by the way)) and white shoes. That one extra color adds a lot to pieces ((and I wish I'd see more three color pieces!)).

I also agree with Candycane. Off-white and red can look nice, as in the famous Velveteen Metamorphose Dress. It's deep red velveteen with off-white lace and trim and such. It looks very nice. Yellow and red, not so much. Too cosplay-y, but if that's what you're going for, by all means! Dark Purple and Blue would be nice.

To be perfectly honest, I think something light-ish blue, not baby blue, with, say, a gingham or tartan look to it that has a red pattern on it would look cute with the red lace. Maybe I'm being too idealistic when it comes to fabric, but that's what I would do with red lace.

Courdoroy can be used, I suppose, but I'd use it in a more Dandy or Kodon outfit, for some prince-style pants. That with a matching courdoroy hat would look cute... >_>
"Lolita is all about looking cute and innocent. If you want to look like a lolita and act like a whore, that's your perogative, but don't you DARE dress like a whore and call yourself lolita. That's not what it's all about."

Black Cutaway Lolita JSK ((for use with the red Meta cutsew)): 100% designed, 0% completed

BluexBlackxWhite Lolita: 100% designed, 100% completed
TeddyBearNarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
Alivar
The Poor Wee Newbie

I didn't even think about using a pattern! That'd be perfect, thank you. I'm perfectly comfortable with knee lengh skirts- I'm not a big fan of short short stuff anyway.

But I found the perfect socks for a cheshire cat...
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBearNarcs
I agree with Nina Star. Skirts, at a maximum, should be two inches above the knee. In regards to the sleeves ((about the JSK sleeves)) - JSKs are sleeveless, yes, but wearing them without a blouse underneath immediately turns the outfit from lolita to erololi - though some may argue that doesn't exist - because you're showing your shoulders. Lolita is all about showing as little skin as possible, really, and shoulders are considered too much skin. Just a heads up.
yeah, i have really odd rules about jumperskirts. :P

i think that if you treat a jumperskirt well and not as erorori (which is a lot more difficult than it seems), then it is fine by itself. a few examples i think that would work fine by itself is some of the more elegant end of gothic items (not just the typical ones that a lot of the brands sell that come in white, pink, blue, blackxwhite, blackxblack, etc., and the lighter ones look sweet. i mean ones that are actually desinged to be very gothic-looking in their lacy, rufflyness. :P), and even a few sweet lolita items. (i saw this really cute white visible dress that has big ruffles going all the way down. i think that paired with a cute decorated straw sunhat, maybe some of those cute (and popular now) straw-looking wedge shoes, and a decorated straw handbag, it would be a really cute summery looking outfit, even without the shirt, without looking erorori.)

but i think that is just me, because the majority of lolitas would kill me for thinking this kind of thing. :P but i honestly think that sometimes jumpers can be worn without a shirt without looking bad. (though the majority still look bad without a shirt. :P maybe not quite erorori, as i think that the entire thing needs to be ero before it can be labeled that (shorter skirt, diffrent stockings, just overall diffrent desgin), but it just looks wrong somehow most of the time. :P)
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
mirime

Hi Ali!
I love your ideas for themes—that's cute and had never occurred to me! I'll probably dress up Loli for that con, but I'm not entirely certain how—I love goth loli, but I'm hesitant on how I'll pull it off. Anyone have tips for me? Reading through this thread, I'm thinking of going with black-and-cream. (Ali, you won't mind me hijacking your thread a little, will ya?)
mirime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
Alivar
The Poor Wee Newbie

Nope, go for it. I've asked around a couple of other places (including the thread for it on the forums of the comicon), and have a few ideas. I just need to go fabric shopping.
Unread 06-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
Fiona LeFae
The Anti-Crime Mime

I think red, white, and purple would be cute.
Maybe that's just me.
I have colour issues. XD

Love,
Fifi

Remember,
There are worse things
than a shattered chandelier.
Fiona LeFae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Gothic Lolita? Then I tend to find Japanese Mesurements (I tend to work only with Japanese Goth loli patterns) Have skirts just above the kneecap, so they can be seen, not any lower or you start becoming a more gothic style dress. Kana-chans designs are even shorter XD (2cm~4cm above knee)

White and yellow seems cute, pastel yellow would be nice I think ^^/ And yes I agree Red and black is a bit too harsh colours for goth loli style, other styles like gothic or punky-loli wear them alot even in japanese fashion, though

Sleeves are usually wrist length (If long) and I swear Ero-Loli does exist I have heard Nobara(think thats his name) talking about ero-lolis