Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Archives > Anime Expo New York

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-05-2002, 11:24 PM   #1
digikoomi

Post Parents VS Convention

MY god~ this was such bad news...after the con my parents had just yell at me like hell >_< no idea why parents think about cosplay, my dad said it's kitty stuff, no way~ I think convention is had lots stuff and info, and its not for kid. Why people think animation is for kids only? and why adult can't dress up? I dont understand some people's feeling, so What do you guys think? any problem from Parents?
( I just feel so bad about this.....
they are trying to stop me for the next con .....some body help~~)
digikoomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Kamui Motoaki
Edge Master of FOOD ^_^

dun worry. . .just wear your costumes to school. . . around the house. . . shopping. . . and soon your parents will get used to it. . ^_~ *is talking outta experience. . * lol
Kamui Motoaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

I'm gonna be sewing my Seifer coat to be able to wear around. Like, keep me warm. Mm... corderoy lined... nice heavy material... beyond cosplay ^_^;

But yeah. My mom like, just worries about me traveling around all the sudden. She doesn't mind the cosplay, in fact, she's proud that I'm doing such creative stuff. My dad... he doesn't comment. But I guess he doesn't mind.
Stopping you from the next con? After AXNY, I was like, slacking around a bit, doing photo stuff, and my mom was pissed like "You're not going to any more cons." "So, you're saying I can't go out and hang with my friends?" "...oh nevermind"
I think she's glad I'm making friends, I've always been the loner/outcast in school. This is my niche ^_^;

Animation being for kids... sheesh, my dad still watches cartoons sometimes. But anime... He just calls it 'japanese crap'. *shrug* So he doesn't like the drawing style. Oh well. I'm not gonna argue that.
I dunno... I guess I got it easy... alot of understanding people...
I just wish my mom didn't worry about me so much, I mean, what will she think when I start going all the way up to AnimeBoston and down to Animazement? ^_^;
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 06:51 AM   #4
TyJILDown
...rawr!~

My sister always mocks whatever they're saying on TV along with my mom calling it "gook shit"...my mom also always gets mad when I watch anime because I prefer watching it on the 53" and she can't get TV time on the larger TV when I am... -_-;;

Mam also got pissed when I started spending all this money on my cosplay costume saying that it was a waste of money. Yes, I had no job when I started doing the costume but I had fun. Maybe she was right in a way since I did spend like $400 on this costume X_x

Last edited by TyJILDown : 09-06-2002 at 06:55 AM.
TyJILDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 11:39 AM   #5
gunboy

"Gook shit"?? Some of us take major offence in that. It's not even funny. Your family got to get with the times and be a little less insensitive.
gunboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 11:58 AM   #6
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> "Gook shit"?? Some of us take major offence in that. It's not even funny. Your family got to get with the times and be a little less insensitive.

Or maybe we shouldn't take silly comments too seriously. LOL
I think it's funny, personally, because, yes, anime is a sort of drug (mooooooooooore aniiiiiiiiiiiime...) so calling it "Good shit" (like I always heard people calling drugs in movies) fits imo.

My grandfather calls anime "Japoniaiseries" a mixture of "Japonaiserie" (slang for a Japanese thing), and naiseries (stupidities). He thinks its funny and I think it's a creative wordplay. I don't feel threatened or offended by this at all.

And then the word "sensitive" makes me cringe. It sounds so politically correct, which instantly get all my alarms going.
Unread 09-06-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
gunboy

THat's because you're not Asian. Any one who still uses the work Gook makes me boiling mad. Political correctness implies a overly sensitive tone towards something, but a Gook is just a racial, degratory term reserved for "Enemies".

I am surprised at how someone can be an Anime fan and still be so insensitive towards this. Maybe you can help change the attitude of your mal-adjusted family members.
gunboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 12:27 PM   #8
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Any one who still uses the work Gook makes me boiling mad.

LOL I'm not Asian but I am not a native English-speaker either and I thought that "gook" was a typo for "good". LOL I have now learnt a new word!

(I still maintain that "good shit" would have been funny!)

> I am surprised at how someone can be an Anime fan and still be so insensitive towards this.

Well, mostly because I did not know the term. ^___^

> Maybe you can help change the attitude of your mal-adjusted family members.

LOL I would not dream of it! I love them the way they are!
He'll make fun of anime in one breath and himself in the next. There is such a thing as making fun of stereotypes, you know. And he has the right to think anime is stupid. I think US football is stupid and will poke fun at the Superbowl mercilessly.

Most people like to joke that no one makes movies as badly as the French. I don't get offended. ^___^ I mean, if the pun is made in good humour and not meant to be nasty, I see no problem with it.

Seriously if I got offended at every bad-French-movie, Maginot-line, smelly-unwashed-French and hairy-armit joke I heard I'd spend my life in a bad mood!
Unread 09-06-2002, 12:45 PM   #9
s0ni-chan
ms. s0nified

*sigh* Koomi, you aren't the only one with crappy parents. I was walking around with my new pair of wings, and my dad saw them...AND HE STARTED TO YELL AT ME! Lol, I thought it was hilarious, so I started to laugh and he got even madder. He told me that I'm crazy and gay to be wearing wings. Yes, he said that. Lol, I couldn't stop laughing. This is my philosophy, if parents are stupid enough to yell at you about wearing wings, then they are prolly to stupid to know anything about cosplaying and whatnot. Just explain to them, the pros about cosplaying. Say that you can meet a lot of new cool people through it. My parents won't let me travel for a con, so I have to deal with that. As long as you talk to them, everything should turn out fine. In my case, laughing was better.
s0ni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 02:46 PM   #10
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Wow... I gravely mistook my mom. I told her about how I wanted to pick up some fabric for my Seifer costume after classes today... and she's all pissy like "Oh, and when is this for?" "Um... October and February" "NO! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ANY OF THOSE ANIME THINGS DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR!" Then she went on about money, I owe her like $400 for school books, should focus on my studies, etc... blah. Kinda tuned her out.
Someone needs to slap her and remind her that I'm a legal adult now, and I'll, frankly, do/go what/whereever the fuck I want.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:19 PM   #11
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I'm a legal adult now, and I'll, frankly, do/go what/whereever the fuck I want.

Unfortunately, as long as you're in their house, you're their kid. X__X The only way to do what you want is to move out and pull the plug on the phone. (As I have discovered after years of living with over-protective parents.)
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:23 PM   #12
Sami
» star*stealing girl

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosiel

Unfortunately, as long as you're in their house, you're their kid. X__X The only way to do what you want is to move out and pull the plug on the phone. (As I have discovered after years of living with over-protective parents.)
LOL exactly. x_x My parents weren't exactly overprotective ALL the time, but I lived with them until I was 21 and it got a little rough towards the end. *twitch* Their roof, their rules.. meh.

My mom started to get a little iffy about my cons/cosplay after a while. So I asked her if she'd rather have me going to geeky anime conventions a few times a year, or hanging out on the street selling my body and snorting crack or whatever. I'll bet you can guess what she chose. ^_-

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:25 PM   #13
NeoDrifter

I hate it when Con time comes around, my mom acts all supportive and when I come back she yells at me and does all this stuff to me. She says Japanese anime is for children and that I ain't a kid no more, I WANNA STAY A KID THEN! she pissed me off so much by saying I couldn't go to Otakon and had to go to a missionary bullcrap camp. All they do there is what you can get for free at bootcamp. I started to yell at her about how much I get stressed by her bull**** that she just shut up about it. god even to this day I am still pissed about that.
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #14
Kitty
uallshittalktoomuch

I am a BIG kid and yes I too have had bad probs with my parent. They said they didnt want me to be an " Anime losser" for the rest of my life. So what you need to do is just dim it down some and not let them see how much you love it to the point they think you are obsessed over it but tell them it is just a "weekend hobby" and it wont consume your life. I said that and my parents backed down . MWA HA HA!
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:56 PM   #15
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

My parents are very supportive in taking me to my annual convention (I-Con, been going for the past 3 years) since they realize how much it means to me. It took a while of working on my dad, but with the help fo my insistant aunt, we got him to take me to AXNY finally. I think part of thier support comes because they know I want to work in this industry for real and all...so they realize they have to support my life's decision. That doesn't mean they like it though...my dad thinks it's pretty odd and my mom thinks it has a lot of bad themes (of course she's only seen bad examples to base this on which doesn't help much since as a result she won't watch good stuff with me).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Shima-Mizu~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shima-Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote