Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Want a Japanese Pen Pal?

If you guys want to talk to Japanese people so much, get a PenPal... Here's a few sites:

Pen-2-Pen
JPA Pen Pal <--Snail Mail only
Japanese Transcontinental Network (JTN)
Japanese Friend Finder
Students of the World
Shelley
Pen Friend Ship
Maayo
Pen Pal.net
PenPal Club
PenPal World
Pen Pal Party
Pen Pal International
PenPal Garden
InterPals Pen Pals
Pen Pal Post
Student Letter Exchange
PenPal Pinboard
A Girl‘s World
Kids Media Club
Pen Pal Exchange
PenPal Welcome

I showed that other thread to a few friends I have in Japan. They were all slightly offended. Here's a quote directly from one of them:
"What do they think we are? Dolls to be collected?!"

I honestly don't care who gets angry at me for posting this... but I felt it needed to be posted.

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)

Last edited by DeathOfSoul : 09-07-2006 at 11:25 PM.
DeathOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
LightHawk
I Took The Red Pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOfSoul
I showed that other thread to a few friends I have in Japan. They were all slightly offended. Here's a quote directly from one of them:
"What do they think we are? Dolls to be collected?!"
That's always been on the biggest things that's bothered me about connecting with people from Japan. Especially those who are aware that you're an otaku/cosplayer/whatever.

I added quite a few Japanese people to my friends list on myspace (my profile and layout makes it blatantly obvious who and what I am), and I expected an overwhelming "negative" so to speak, but I was surprised that a handful actually accepted my add invitation and were more than amicable about the whole thing. They've all been friendly and chatty. I suppose it all depends on the individual.

In the end, I think you've just got to go for it. If people get offended, then I can understand where they're coming from. It must be so annoying to be latched onto by fanboys and fangirls all the time, but they've got to understand there are people out there (like the people on here) who are genuine in their interests and really do want to make connections.

If that made sense to anyone, please let me know....because it confused the hell outta me.

As an afterthought, most of the people who have taken offense at my love of Japan and anime etc. have been westerners. I've been harassed something rotten in other forums/places I've been.

Planned Costumes
Yazoo, FFVII : AC
Kiriyama Kazuo, Battle Royale Movie
LightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Bagu
absolutely! umm..what?

MySpace (bleh... I prefer TagWorld) does at least offer a little more personality to the old school pen pal business. I have quite a few asian friends who are very outgoing and talkative, but its a joint effort between the two connected people.

The blogs that TW has help a lot, because you can open yourself up to whatever is on your mind and those who subscribe to them can see your sincerity.

But I can see how asian girls can get offended. Otaku guys seem to live too much in their anime fantasies in their regards to girls from japan...its really quite sad they get treated as objects sometimes rather than a person with feelings.
Bagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Lol I just laughed reading first post god some jps need to calm down and stop whining... I'm japanese and don't really get offended by it I mean theres TONS of jp girls who are mad for american/western etc guys and stuff out there so they really can't talk. My friend from kindergarden is totally like that (I was brought up in Japan but now I live in UK) She came down to UK from japan so she can meet more westerners ^^;

They should be glad people specially want to talk to us 0_o Wouldn't it be more sad if noone cared about our country and wastn't interested? ^^;
Unread 09-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoisakura
Lol I just laughed reading first post god some jps need to calm down and stop whining... I'm japanese and don't really get offended by it I mean theres TONS of jp girls who are mad for american/western etc guys and stuff out there so they really can't talk. My friend from kindergarden is totally like that (I was brought up in Japan but now I live in UK) She came down to UK from japan so she can meet more westerners ^^;

They should be glad people specially want to talk to us 0_o Wouldn't it be more sad if noone cared about our country and wastn't interested? ^^;
Well I never said all Japanese get offended, but quite a few do. That's why I made this thread so people can meet others on Pen Pal sites to meet Japanese people that want to talk.

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
Unread 09-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Tbh if they get offended they should keep away from these sort of sites where people are intrested in japan and such as your bound to find fanpeoples 0_o;
Unread 09-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoisakura
Tbh if they get offended they should keep away from these sort of sites where people are intrested in japan and such as your bound to find fanpeoples 0_o;
True. They didn't come here though, I linked it to them.

Either way, I just think getting a Pen Pal is better than getting 10 random people IMing you...

Plus, if you want to talk to a Japanese person, in Japan, about Japan, then 1-3 Pen Pals would be perfect. (Then you also know for sure that you're getting someone from Japan and not some random person from the blue saying "I'm Japanese. Let's Chat". (Believe it or not, it's happened to me <.<).

Tumblr

Last edited by DeathOfSoul : 09-09-2006 at 12:40 PM.