Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 03-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
kalajessta
Chevalier

SugoiCon vs YoumaCon

Once again SugoiCon and YoumaCon are a week apart. I've had gone to Sugoi '04 and Sugoi '05 yet I haven't gone to YoumaCon. I know their has been alot of people saying Youma is better. In your opinions, what are your pros and cons about both convetions? What kind of events do you like at both conventions? Which would you recommend going to if you could only choose one? And anything else you would like to add. I know it seems early, but this year is flying by quickly and I need to start planning my conventions for fall/winter.

Benviolo (Romeo x Juliet); Guy Cecil - Hopeless Dreamer (Tales of the Abyss); Rossiu (Gurren-Lagann); Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh)

2008 Cons:
A and G Ohio, TekkoshoCon, Anime Central, Anime Expo, Otakon, Ikasu Con, Matsuri Con, Tsubasa Con, Youma Con, AnimeUSA
kalajessta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Sporkstress
Tastes Like Cheese

I've never been to Youmacon because they're so close together, and Sugoicon is only half an hour away from me, so I can't realy compare them. Personally though, I think Sugoicon is a bit on the boring side as far as events go (and cosplay- there's not even skits to entertain us with! all we get to do is stand in a line to wait and be judged. Oh joy). The only excelent thing I find about it is, like every con- the awesome people there to hang out with.
Trucy Wright (Apollo Justice) - Planned
Bianchi (Reborn) - Planned
Sporkstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
kalajessta
Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkstress
I've never been to Youmacon because they're so close together, and Sugoicon is only half an hour away from me, so I can't realy compare them. Personally though, I think Sugoicon is a bit on the boring side as far as events go (and cosplay- there's not even skits to entertain us with! all we get to do is stand in a line to wait and be judged. Oh joy). The only excelent thing I find about it is, like every con- the awesome people there to hang out with.
See, Detroit is only about two and a half hours away from me. Cinci is about 5 and a half. So that alone is alot for one weekend. And I do agree with the masq thing. It's boring for the people who are getting judged and the people who are waiting around for the results and their friends that are participating in it.

Benviolo (Romeo x Juliet); Guy Cecil - Hopeless Dreamer (Tales of the Abyss); Rossiu (Gurren-Lagann); Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh)

2008 Cons:
A and G Ohio, TekkoshoCon, Anime Central, Anime Expo, Otakon, Ikasu Con, Matsuri Con, Tsubasa Con, Youma Con, AnimeUSA
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Anne Packrat
Tachikoma Activist

Youmacon was much better run, and has better location, better events, and better guests than Sugoi. Attend Youmacon.

Future Cosplay Plans: Goron Link (Zelda: MM), Noa Izumi (Patlabor), Bowser (Super Mario Bros)
Anne Packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
kalajessta
Chevalier

Thanks Anne. I think I will. Let alone business sucked at Sugoi Con last year. So I think I will try Youma for sure.

2008 Cons:
Unread 03-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I am also thinking about trying out Youmacon since I have heard good things about it. Both times I went to Sugoicon, I didn't have much fun.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 02:03 AM   #7
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

There should be more guests at Sugoi this year..and they got an amazing j-rock band I hear! (forget the name)
Buuut...last year was boring. The badges were WAY more expensive and there was LESS to do. I wasn't too happy about it but hey, every con has it's ups and downs.
I'd be willing to give Youmacon a spin if anything to see friends up in Michigan that I hardly ever get to see. ^^

Hehe..or we could say screw em both and we could all go to Anime Vegas! VEGAS BABY!! (kidding btw!)

Last edited by Miyabi- : 03-22-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
kalajessta
Chevalier

Lmfao. I wish I could afford to go to Vegas. Vegas would be awsome. But yeah, I really agree with you on Sugoi last year. Let alone business was awful. I made twice as much at Colossal then Sugoi, and Colossal was smaller I think? I could be wrong.

2008 Cons:
Unread 09-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
krisisme
Krisisme

boo, yall are making me have second thoughts about going to sugoicon, which would be my first cosplay convention :-( I don't want to drive like 5 hours and not have fun! :-( Though.. I was thinking about breakdancing in my cosplay outfit at the dance at sugoicon and doing some ddr and testing my skills against others :-P
krisisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Ononoke
BAM Style

Well, I've never been to either convention before. This will be my first year attending Youmacon which is noted for being the fastest growing convention in the country for several obvious reasons, some of them being the awesome location and programming from what I've heard. On the other hand, I do have several friends who went to Sugoi and said just about the same thing as you guys.. They found it quiete boring =/ But I'm not going to judge until I experience both conventions.

Youmacon looks like its going to be alot of fun either way, and well worth the *coughcough* 5 hour drive from Chicago. I'm sure Sugoi would be the same.
Unread 09-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I've never been to Youmacon. Sugoi '05 was my very first Anime Convention...and it was a wonderful introduction to conventions, I think. The people there were all really friendly and where it was my first convention, I didn't realize there wasn't anything to do. I just had a blast meeting new people and just goofing off in my cosplay.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
raging_otaku69
Kawaii onigiri mouse

of course youma is much bigger than the close-family knit of sugoi and better in much aspects but when youve been going there for such a long time, you get used to sugoicons relaxing atmosphere.

ill be at both so i dont care XD

Current works:
Gunbuster Onee-sama and Noriko--sugoicon 2006 (20% planning and buying)
Rizelmine--sugoicon 2006 (10% planning)
Iron wok jan--Youmacon 2006
raging_otaku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
OphanimGunner
50919 Tokunaga Shoudai

I'm biased for Youmacon because they had part of the cast of Power Rangers SPD there last year? I met a lot more interesting people up there, since it was smaller (?) than Sugoi (at least to me), and since I'm used to hitting everything in the Ohio area.

Honestly, both cons were about equal for me. Though I do have to say I probably had more fun at Youma. It might have just been the group of friends I made and hung out with, though.
Ankh (OOO) - 5%
Hiro Kikuchi (Clone Baby) - 10%

Hopper!Yaguruma (Kabuto) - 25%
Ryuunosuke Ikenami (Shinkenger) - 25%
Tsukasa Kadoya (Decade) - 50%
Kazari (OOO) - 80%

Ryoutarou Nogami (Den-O) - 100%
Ura!Ryoutarou Nogami (Den-O) - 100%
Shoutarou Hidari (W) - 100%
OphanimGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
bar1scorpio
Big Damn Hero

Go to the closer one, save money & time.

Besides which... from what I hear, the YoumaCon badges are more collectible.