Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
PrinceMark

How to deal with Impersonation?

Hi!

My first created thread here on the CC forums, and I am looking for a little help.

I have recently been the victim of impersonation for my Vaan costume. As some person on MySpace is using my cosplay.com photos and pretending to be me :O

Now, never thinking this could happen before I have never protected my images, or similar in anyway. As this is has seemingly never happened to a UK cosplayer before we are all rather...at loose ends what to do about it.

Has anybody got any ideas, suggestions on how to protect my "identity" and to ensure this doesn't happen again?

How would people feel about being the victim of impersonation? I have found it quite difficult as I find cosplaying a way of stressing my individuality, so this has really offended me! :O

Sorry for the rather downbeat post but I am really in need of some advice on how to stop this happening in the future. The situation at the moment is being dealt with by the support of the website it has occured on, but I would like to NOT have this happen again ya know? XD

Thanks for any and all advice if you can spare it!

Kind Regards.

PrinceMark!
PrinceMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Heero Masaki
King of Sexy Janken

I've already talked to you about this my friend. but i think the best you can do is watermark you pictures with a 'solid' but unruining nametag that you can put over yourself on the photo. I'm not sure about the best places to put them though, I'm sure other people on here can suggest something.

YouTube ~ My YouTube Channel ~

Eternal Hero ~ My Website ~

DeviantArt ~ My DeviantArt. ~

CURE ~ CURE Cosplay Profile. ~
Heero Masaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Pareidolia
Mr. Fufu Cuddlypoops

You could always post a picture of yourself holding a sign saying he stole your pictures lolz. Ooh, or a short little video clip of it.
Pareidolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
mizuhaki

I checked out your gallery, and I can see why they stole it. Your costumes look great! Imitation ( or impersonation in this case) is the highest form of flattery.
And I second watermarking your photos, but do so lightly. Good places to watermark would be over the center of the body, and maybe a small section of the face. You don't want to ruin the picture so everyone can't enjoy it. ^^
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Wolverine

You can add a sort of ID mark to your photo. Like putting your cosplayer name in a corner somewhere. This is also mistakenly called "watermarking" a photo, but you get the idea. A lot of photographers add their copyright notice in this way.

(But several ppl do refer to their semi-transparent copyright notices as watermarks, & most ppl do think of certain photo IDs/copyrights/etc. inside of a photograph as such.)

The problem with putting even a transparent ID text directly over a pic of yourself is that it pretty much mars a once beautiful photo (Well, that's just this forum poster's opinion). But then again, there're less chances of someone swiping your pics if you do do that. Heh.

If you have Adobe Photoshop, I think you can actually apply an actual digital watermark to your photos -- one that can't be cropped out by an image-thief and is invisible. However, I'm not sure if programs other than Photoshop can read that watermark. They should … I hope.

Last edited by Wolverine : 01-23-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
mizuhaki

Invisible? Sounds handy ^^ But what do you mean by that?
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Could give us the link to the persons homepage, and we could support you in this time of crisis.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
PrinceMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
Could give us the link to the persons homepage, and we could support you in this time of crisis.
Oh wow, I thank you for the offer. It's a user on MySpace and I have already contacted them about it. I really, really, really appreciate the support, however they are looking into it...so the person (if your interested *cough*Vaan26*cough*) will be dealt with soon.

But thank you

As for the watermarks:

What sort of info/symbol should I put?
Surely somebody can just post them somewhere anyway and say "Oh I watermarked them" ?

Sorry if I am being an idiot!
PrinceMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

That's just wrong. I hate hearing about people doing that.

As for the watermark: maybe you could put on something that has meaning to you, but would be confusing to other people (like an inside joke...only a symbol or word) or maybe your C.com name?

(And I agree with Mizuhaki, your costumes are great )
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
siead_lietrathu
Androgyny

on my art, i usually put (c)Siead or whatever in a corner.
they way to watermark in photoshop is really really anoying. much easier to just add text, which can do easily in MSpaint.
siead_lietrathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

You can even create a stamp and mess with the opacity in Photoshop. ^_^ That way your mark is there yet you control how heavy it is. As far as creating a "digital mark" errrr...that only works with non-pirated copies of Photoshop. Not trying to imply anything..just a forewarning! ^_^

Sadly the MySpace picture theft thing of cosplayers is becoming pretty common. A friend of mine has had a certain picture of her Ed Elric costume ripped off of her gallery and posted on MySpace and Gaia multiple times. I'd report them to the webhost and provide links proving your identity. (someone mentioned holding a sign that says "this is me!")
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
random_idiot

BURN HIS HOUSE!! Okay, totally kidding (hopefully you didn't go do that, I don't wanna be help liable...)
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceMark View Post
Oh wow, I thank you for the offer. It's a user on MySpace and I have already contacted them about it. I really, really, really appreciate the support, however they are looking into it...so the person (if your interested *cough*Vaan26*cough*) will be dealt with soon.

But thank you

As for the watermarks:

What sort of info/symbol should I put?
Surely somebody can just post them somewhere anyway and say "Oh I watermarked them" ?

Sorry if I am being an idiot!
Did you already contact myspace? They do crack down on impersonators so hopefully that person's account will be deleted. But yes, as mentioned before imitation is a form of flattery, but this is almost criminal. Who knows what they could be doing under your guise. My suggestion is transparent watermark on your cosplay.com gallery. And if you have a website of your own where you want to display more pictures but without watermarks, disable right-clicking is a good start.
Winter Divinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
Leenus

the watermark suggestion I think is probably the only thing one person can do to prevent theft but even thats not full proof many was for the water marks to be tampered with and taken off. im seeing this more every day and its sad really but i go with the water mark Idea its the most full proof if not entirely.
Unread 01-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
DemonicGoddess
*Yaoi is my weakness*

I bet doughnuts to dollars that nobody has ever done a Beyblades cosplay
and if they have they probably didn't dye their hair pink like I did, lol. Still,
I got a lot of heck from my parents and I let my hair stay pink for a month
and a half, anyway this might be off topic and not even the right thread for
me to posting but I have to say I can deal with impersonation fine. That is all.