Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
kalajessta
Chevalier

Traveling to Japan next year...

I'm traveling to Japan next year at some point, but the problem is, my friends and I are debating about when we are going for sure. We know that it is better (and cheaper) to go in the off-peak seasons but we also would like to attend anime cons/festivals and/or events while we are there if that is possible.

Are there anything like that sorts during off-peak seasons? Or should we just forget the idea of attending a con/event there and just try to go as cheap as possible?

Also, some locations, attractions and other ideas would be useful to help plan for our trip.

Benviolo (Romeo x Juliet); Guy Cecil - Hopeless Dreamer (Tales of the Abyss); Rossiu (Gurren-Lagann); Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh)

2008 Cons:
A and G Ohio, TekkoshoCon, Anime Central, Anime Expo, Otakon, Ikasu Con, Matsuri Con, Tsubasa Con, Youma Con, AnimeUSA
kalajessta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
aoisakura
=^._.^=

I went in september, JUST missed Comiket lol... it was wayy cheaper to go in september, still got to go to TGS so it was all good... In Tokyo I think Ikebukuro is very good place to go esp if there's any fangirls in your group as it has the most anime stuff for girls, rather than Akihabara.... and the best Animate is in Ikebukuro imo and theres a few cosplay shops and stuff there (I stayed in a hotel in Ikebukuro for nearly 2 weeks and only discovered all this in my last week there me and my husband were gutted lol..well he mainly blamed me as I can speak japanese and stuff and didn't find it sooner.... XD) The anime/manga/doujin area is a bit hard to find, its past sunshine tower (or maybe its at the foot of the tower) you have to cross this big bypass thingy to get to it but it's worth it I found stuff in that animate I didn't find anywhere else (and we spent alot of time looking at anime/manga stuff...) It's starnge not many people mention Ikebukuro idk why as it's really good for anime shopping there Akiba is a bit overrated...

And theres Sunshine city which is quite a cool place to go (Very very tall shopping/entertainment complex in Ikebukuro has really fun stuff to do there) and lots of arcades to amuse yourselves with

And cosplaying in TGS was great fun I also went to Universal Studios Osaka and Tokyo Disneyland among other places but that's really up to the person I wanted to take husband there he had never been even as a kid lol

Hope you have fun there

And if people like models/figures its best imo to go to Denden Town in Osaka it had much better choice then Akiba did according to husband I would have no idea I'm not too intrested in models myself lol
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

I went in September as well, also stayed in Ikebukuro. Attended TGS, you can cosplay or check out the newest games. (I actually prefer to concentrate on the games as there aren't enough time really) The weather is good too, not too hot, not too cold.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
aoisakura
=^._.^=

imo there was wayyyy too many people to even try to play the games unless you reallllly badly wanted to the cosplay area is quite relaxed and everyones nice there so it's quite good (though I DID badly want to play the FFXI Venus 2006 event but as I said, way too many people to even try)
Unread 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

Yes, TGS 2006 really is too crowded. Maybe because PS3 is showing in playable form for the first time.
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
Mebachiko
戦闘機

If you dont`t have time to go to big events, there`s also another things around the year and it can be fun if you choose correctly I think n_n
In cosmode webpage (http://www.cosmode.net/pc/event/) you can find a lot of events if you can read a bit of japanese...

About stores don`t forget the Jump store in Suidobashi or Odaiba (Suidobashi is better I think...)
Unread 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebachiko View Post
If you dont`t have time to go to big events, there`s also another things around the year and it can be fun if you choose correctly I think n_n
In cosmode webpage (http://www.cosmode.net/pc/event/) you can find a lot of events if you can read a bit of japanese...

About stores don`t forget the Jump store in Suidobashi or Odaiba (Suidobashi is better I think...)

Ooh, thank you for that link, Mebachiko! That'll help a lot once I get to Japan.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
aoisakura
=^._.^=

I totally forgot about the Jump shop...I just happened to stumble on it as I went to Tokyo Dome for a SMAP concert lol they have quite nice merch there if you likeany jump series